Tuesday, April 16, 2024

MORE ON ANOTHER RANT FROM MAR. 28

      On Mat . 28 I wrote about an unpleasant call with my bank's call center. 

       I had been told in a letter to phone a number to give the bank instructions on my account. I had phoned this number before. 

       This time when we phoned they started asking questions for identification purposes. I'm not sure how many questions were asked but enough to catch my attention that I didn't like what was going on. When we said we would answer no more questions, they refused to do the business we wanted.

       We contacted the bank. Our account  did not show suspicious action. 

       So we talked to the bank manager about the situation. The bank manager said that he would pass the complaint forward.

       However , he did say that he thought what was happening is that the bank bought another bank and were having some difficulty with identification so they were updating personal information. 

       I can see that it's necessary to update identification information but I don't like it and the incident I was involved with went too far. 

28 comments:

  1. I wouldn't like it either Red - any suspicious call is upsetting and unsettling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had to call this number before so it wasn't really suspicious.

      Delete
  2. You need to be suspicious of phishing these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much phishing is quite obvious but we still have to watch.

      Delete
  3. These days, it pays to be suspicious whenever anybody wants that kind of information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cautious is another word we could use. I err on the side of caution I hope.

      Delete
  4. I guess we’d have to go into the bank here to see the manager. We’d never get anyone via phone. So much red tape but I guess they are attempting to keep our money safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our bank at the present time is very user friendly. The manager is most helpful.

      Delete
  5. You did the right thing, Red. Better to be safe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they tried very hard to keep us on the line.

      Delete
  6. I would think it very odd that this would be done over the phone, to be honest. It seems like a very dangerous way to collect information. With all the scam calls out there, it seems as if banks would want to underscore the importance of not giving out personal information over the phone instead of requesting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very poorly handled. They did not make us feel comfortable about the situation.

      Delete
  7. We have to be suspicious and cautious about everythine now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got it and then sometimes we still get caught.

      Delete
  8. I wouldn't trust anyone asking for personal information over the telephone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had used this number a few times and they looked after our business.

      Delete
  9. I've been on a few calls where they spend so much time asking me all kinds of questions but in the end, I seldom get what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some things are unnecessarily complicated.

      Delete
  10. That is definitely a valid rant! Glad you made your complaint. You really can't be too careful these days. So many scams out there, but such is life on the internet these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The internet has made it very easy for scammers.

      Delete
  11. Glad you could see your manager.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fairly easy to see this guy. He doesn't just hide out in the corner office.

      Delete
  12. I had something similar happen very recently. I wanted to cash out six CD's that were under performing and put the money to smarter use. The bank manager grilled me about my intent for my money to the point of harassment. I reported her and did receive a phone call of apology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes they have something that is beneficial to them and not so beneficial to you.

      Delete
  13. i think you did right to stop where you felt bothered Red
    this was nice to learn the reason behind such curious behavior .

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can see why that was upsetting. That bank was really goofy. You just can't trust everything on the phone or online these days.

    ReplyDelete