Saturday, February 18, 2012

Male and Female Brains

    There was an excellent post on   Far Side of Fifty recently. Far Side described male brains as boxes and female brains as boxes. She explained how these brains worked and gave concrete examples of her husband and herself.


     The post caught my eye because I have had a long interest in the topic. As a teacher I was aware of the different  characteristics between girls and boys as far progress was concerned. I tried to include situations in my classroom that would accommodate both boys and girls. It wasn't a one size fits all. Before I retired in 1997 there was some pretty interesting research on brains. There were looking at the various brain areas and how those areas performed.


      A very long time ago I read a book called "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus."  The author had done some major research into the differences in communication between men and women. This book offered some very practical strategies when it came to improving communication.




     Now Far Side's post helped to explain something for me that has bothered me for a long time. Home Farm Girl insists on carrying a clothe bag almost every place she goes. This bag has a supply of plastic bags for those grocery stores which do not supply bags. She also keeps lists, gloves, coupons and large variety of other items. There is much rummaging through the bag when something is wanted. She wants the gloves. Oops she can't find the gloves in the bag. We're in the car and she's turning the bag inside out and freaking. By the time I say should we stop the car and go back, she finds the gloves! I can see taking this bag to the grocery store but I fail to see why it has to go every place. So the bag goes to doctor appointments and I'm left "holding the bag" in the waiting room and receiving the puzzled stares from other patients. 


    Now I have an explanation for the bag. Since female brains work like a ball, all the strings from the ball are connected to all the various items in the bag. There ! The problem has been explained. That'll do me!

23 comments:

  1. My bag is a survival kit! It has come in mighty handy as I'm sure Home Farm Girl's has. "Whole Brain" education research is quite fascinating and has certainly enriched my classroom. The brain and it's workings can be a might puzzling thing. Enjoyed the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've come a long way since I my first year teaching in 1958!!! At that time the brain was a total mystery. Yes, I remember some of the teachers I taught with were completely connected to the "bag."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read that, too, both the book and Far Side's post. I think women and men just have entirely different experiences of life. It's a mystery to me why that is, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. To me some of the mystery is understandable because of physical differences. I think that there also must be brain differences. Interesting stuff. Liked the way Far Side put things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too find brain studies interesting. I think hormone differences make a large difference also. My husband is a visual learner and I'm auditory, so our experiences are quite different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you know your learning styles. It was important as a teacher to provide different options for kids to accommodate learning style. It was a challenge.

      Delete
  6. I love this stuff. Understanding the differences has really helped me get along with my husband better...and understand my son! I'm more patient with their single track linear thinking. I understand why my husband takes 4 trips to home depot instead of one. I still laugh at him, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree that to know these differences makes for much more successful communication. If both male and female know and observe these differences communication is just that much better.

      Delete
  7. Interesting post Red, speaking of bags...

    I bought a new bag especially for this trip, NEVER buy a new bag before breaking it in or getting accustomed to the various pouches in the bag. On top of the new handbag, I also purchased a shoulder bag, so the new handbag often gets stuffed in the new shoulder bag, until the space is required for purchases. The shoulder bag and I get along just fine, it's the new handbag (which even on sale was overpriced) which is starting to get left behind. It's funny how it works, I was given a passport bag, within that passport bad is a small pouch, that's my newest best friend. If it won't fit in the passport bag, nor the pouch inside of it, I don't need to carry it. Problem solved! lol

    In other words, I can totally relate to your wife and her bag. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You buy the fancy bags. she uses bags that are freebies from somewhere. the one in the picture is a "Leon's " bag.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A man isn't complete without a woman in his life. They see the world from a very different perspective and if you are open to it, they will change your outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome statement Phil! couldn't agree with you more. Thanks for following my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh! YES! YES! YES!! I think you hit it on the head...my brain is connected to the stuff in my purse! Now I understand!


    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
    http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda , what you really need to do is go to Far Side of fifty as that's where I got the idea from. Http://farsideoffifty.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  12. You made me smile. I love this post. It's the mystery of the sexes. We will never understand the workings of each other's brains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rae , we won't fully understand but every little bit helps. I hope you read far Sides post on this topic. It was really good.

      Delete
  13. You're so funny! I love this.
    I think that the brain research is very interesting, but I think the lines are more blurred than they think.
    Cheers from Cottage Country!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I should get a picture of the sad little senior sitting in a waiting room holding "The bag."
    Yes we're not half as smart as we think when it comes to understanding brain function. But we've learned much since I started.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fun, clever post. Thanks for holding my bag while I read it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah I have a bag too..but sometimes I leave it at home..Cute post..I enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. As you see I got the idea from your post.

      Delete
  17. Lol!! I have a similar problem with my bag. Its usually a challenge to find one that has various compatments to fit all my needs and most of the times I hurt my hand with a clip or a filer while rummaging for things :)) Cheers, Ruby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that compartment thing just makes it a little more complicated. Some people have very stylish bags but this one is just a bag.

      Delete