Monday, March 10, 2014

And It Went Viral...

    We quite often hear the term "it went viral." I don't watch TV and I don't watch videos so I miss most of the stuff that goes viral. 

   So here's the back ground to my story. Western Canada had a bumper crop in 2013. In fact, it was a record crop. Farmers thought they were off to the races. What happened next is unbelievable. Railroads hauled very little western grain to ports. There were complaints . As time went on complaints grew louder. Finally the Steven Harper government became aware of the problem and made a meaningless pompous statement.

    I was listening to an interview of a farmer. He explained how he had not sold any grain and he knew why. The railways were hauling oil instead of grain. This farmer was 76 years old and had been through tough times but never anything like this. At the end of the interview he was asked what he thought should happen. his reply was, "Harper (prime minister) should get off his ass and put his big boy pants on and make the railways haul grain."  Today I heard that the comment went viral!

   So there it was. A hardworking old farmer had something to say that went viral.

    So that's about  as close to anything going viral as I'll ever get.

    It makes one wonder what it takes to have something go viral.

23 comments:

  1. Sometimes things that "go viral" are useless bits of information that the media picks up on. This was actually rather useful, I think, more than most "viral" information. Just my two cents. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of neat that an old guy from a rural area comes up with something that catches people's attention.

      Delete
  2. Well done, Mr "Grain Grower" - seems PM Harper has much to learn - maybe he thinks food grows / appears by magic on Supermarket Shelves - unfortunately many politicans think along these "bizarre" lines!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would dearly love to see our Mr Harper go up in smoke!

      Delete
  3. i hope i never have anything that goes viral. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh come on! Just think how neat it would be!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the blog advice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure what makes things go viral. Some things that go viral are really cute or fun - many are useless celebrity photos - but I like this one. I'm glad it went viral. I hope Harper does put on those big boy pants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, most of the viral things are of debatable value.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Yes, the problem isn't rocket science.

      Delete
  7. Tough to not have the shipping. The trucks haul a lot to the processers here, they are lined up deep by now.

    Went to Colorado with my daughter for a bit of fun on the slopes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trucks haul to the in land terminals but the grain must get to the seaports.

      Delete
  8. That's a great story - and I'm glad to hear it went viral!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a story that needs to be emphasized.

      Delete
  9. I'd love to be responsible for something going viral, providing it was something uplifting or positive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crap gets a lot of mileage these days.

      Delete
  10. I think farm stuff should go viral more often, although most of the time I don't pay attention to those viral things:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly don't follow viral stuff. I don't watch videos.

      Delete
  11. I think for something to go viral it has to captures our emotions. It either tugs at the heartstrings, makes us laugh or raises our awareness. I suspect the farmer went viral because he spoke the words many were feeling but just not saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he had a lot of farmers cheering for him.

      Delete
  12. This is a terrible problem. There are so many things to worry about in this day and age.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you think it seems this way to you, Red? More worries, or just more information about world issues?

    ReplyDelete