Tuesday, May 2, 2017

MEDICAL TESTS

      Medical tests seem to be constantly changing. The tests themselves can change. The type of measurement changes. The stats for normal and so on change. The times the tests are needed changes.

     Al is scheduled for an annual check up. Tests are done before the check up. Al noticed that there was not a cholesterol test on the requisition form. He decided to check with his physician to see if he forgot to order cholesterol testing. Al was informed that for seniors the cholesterol test is done once every three years. They have found that senior's cholesterol levels change very little unless they gain lots of weight or develop diabetes. 

    Cholesterol scales have changed over the years. The list of foods containing high cholesterol has been changing. At one time eggs were a no no. Acceptable cholesterol levels have been changing. 

    Now what's going to happen to all the people who have been taking anti cholesterol medication?  Why were they taking it? 

    I think research has been discovering that cholesterol and foods high in cholesterol are not as crucial as once thought. 

    One test that I didn't like was the stool test for occult blood. The test has changed to be much simpler and easier. Again they do the  less occult blood tests  unless the   patient has  certain conditions.

    As a senior, I take very few concoctions. I wish they would further cut medications for seniors.

24 comments:

  1. The people who took cholesterol meds did so because a drug company developed a drug to lower cholesterol. Now that the drug is old enough to made as a generic label, it's not profitable and they stop promoting it.
    The best way to live long is to eat well and stay away from doctors.

    there is a very good chance that the medications you do take do very little for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the drug schemes are pretty sad. Thanks for visiting Hiawatha House.

      Delete
  2. It's like we are playing a ball sport and the folk responsible for that sport keep changing the rules of the game while it is actually in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to go off of my cholesterol meds a few years ago, due to leg cramps.
    That's ironic, too. Somebody is off for an ultrasound this morning, too. Dr.'s app't #55!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cholesterol meds are famous for causing muscle pains and general feeling of not being well.

      Delete
  4. I have my cholesterol numbers and lipid panel every year, but that's partly because I take statins to keep my cholesterol under control. Other than that, all the other things I take every day are vitamins both for my general health and for my eyes, since I have beginning age-related macular degeneration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the charts my doc shows me at my annual check up. If they want to emphasize good health OK but too many want to cure stuff with medication.

      Delete
  5. Mine gets check regularly, must be a difference in our systems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here, I think it's 65 plus that they check only every three years.

      Delete
  6. My most regular medical contact would be with a nurse when I give blood- they check for iron levels before a donation, and the blood samples are tested anyway to show if there's anything else amiss before going into the system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a young guy and if you look after yourself you can stay away from the health system.

      Delete
  7. I've managed to reduce my daily pill intake from eight to two, but one of them is a cholesterol medicine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you to be able to ditch most of your medications. You're much healthier that way.

      Delete
  8. I see in medical news here in Canada that doctors and their patients are starting to be asked to consider this question: will the outcome change as a result of these tests, medications, or treatments? It is a way to try to make more appropriate choices about the extent of tests, etc. Our health care system is starting to be overwhelmed and it will get worse in the next twenty years as all of us baby boomers reach old age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm optimistic that they can turn things around. I think working in a clinic as a group will go a long way.. For example: nurses, physio therapist, psychologist.

      Delete
  9. Medical research constantly brings about changes. And the foods we are told to eat may be food we are told not to eat ten years from now. You just can't keep up with everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are new developments but sometimes they have not been tested well enough.

      Delete
  10. We deal with this a lot with Bob. He'll turn 85 in June though and doctors no longer get worked up over a lot of testing or the readings on tests. They've stopped testing for some things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's right for health care to look at very elderly and start doing less. All people should be treated equally.

      Delete
  11. Medical tests are a drag, but they are a necessity, I suppose. It is interesting how our understanding of cholesterol has changed over the years. My mom and I both have high cholesterol naturally, but we're not overweight and no one in my family has heart disease, so I'm not too worried! I think it's just the way our bodies work, for whatever reason.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In the US some tests are not in the routine checkup after a certain age :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yes! Yuck! I hate doing that hemoccult test, too. And I'm having to take too many medications that I'd rather not take.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is all about the money, and we are making everyone involved rich...

    ReplyDelete