Wednesday, May 1, 2019

IT'S AMAZING WHAT YOU CAN FIND IN THREE OLD DRAWERS

     This being spring time and that means spring cleaning in the Micro Manager's head, I was directed to clean out three old drawers.  She declared the drawers a disaster because of my inefficiency. Some years ago she had organized everything in the drawers into boxes. Now when people put things away for me, those things are lost forever. Put all my money in a special place and I will never ever find it. 

    Well the drawers weren't really that bad. 

    I found quite a few manila tag folders and  I said "Oh ya. I know what's in this." I found quite an extensive family tree that I had made up on my Mom's side of the family. I had completely forgotten that I'd done the family tree. I even had my auntie go through it and add things. I started making the same family tree once I got Ancestry.ca.

   What really caught my eye was a tremendous amount of writing I had done. I did know that the writing was there. What surprised me was how much writing was there.

    I taught Middle School language arts. When I gave the kids any kind of writing assignment , I did the same assignment along with them. Many times I did my writing on the chalk board or overhead. There were literally dozens of pieces of writing. They were on old writing tablets , graph paper and old yellow scratch pads...what ever was handy on my desk for me to pick up.




    Some of the same topics I've used for blog posts, not realizing I had written them before.

   We did more sharing with writing. Kids would pick a buddy and share their writing. Kids would read their piece to the class. Kids would edit and correct what I wrote. 
  
    We would usually start out by making a list like your uncles. We'd narrow the list down to one uncle that they would write about.

    Other assignments were responses from fiction. For example,  what did this character teach you.
.

    Some of the writing was done in workshops I attended.

    I even found a poem or two that I had written. Oh yes, I had kids write poetry.

   Well it took me a long time to go through that material. Did I throw much away? Nope!

   So stuff has gone away again. I find it easier to remember stuff if I put it away.

   I think I'll find some of these pieces to share with you.

32 comments:

  1. Sounds like you made some fun discoveries, thanks to your wife "making you clean out" drawers. Now do you wonder what other treasures spring cleaning might unearth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is it for me! I don't think I have anything else. You can laugh now!!!

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, please do share! And I'm with you - if I put something away, the location goes straight to my memory bank. Not so if someone else is tidying up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's easier to remember if I put things away myself.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you rediscovered some of the things you'd forgotten about. I'm getting to that stage where I forget things I've put away too, lol. I guess we all get to that stage. I do like your vintage photos too. I don't go through my old photos very often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the photos taken at school were with a good camera and quality film so they turn out fairly nice.

      Delete
  4. Hello, you did find some great things while spring cleaning. I would like to see the poems! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only found the one poem. I promise I'll post it.

      Delete
  5. I was going to say, it definitely sounds like blog fodder! It's fun to come across old writing. I have a folder of stuff I did for classes in college, most of it pretty terrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I was past college and this stuff isn't great but then I'm not a great writer period.

      Delete
  6. Yes, I'd like to read your pieces. I'd also like to know how much similarity there is between the old and new writings on the same topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bring up an interesting topic about writing and what happens as you age. It would certainly be different if I wasn't writing on a regular basis on the blog.

      Delete
  7. Hi Red, Good for you going through those drawers. It does sound like an assignment I could get here. :-) Now, looking at those photos ... That first one reminds me of my "uniform" when I first started teaching ... white shirt and tie. I'm trying to remember ... was a tie required or did I just follow the lead of the other male teachers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These photos were from the eighties. We had become very informal but once in a while I would wear a shirt and tie. When I started in the fifties shirt, tie and jacket were mandatory.

      Delete
  8. I look forward to your sharing some of those pieces with us later. At least what was in those drawers is neatly placed back in them, right? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the treasures you found! I am looking forward to reading what you share here. Oh yes, definitely stuff for future blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since writing the pieces I've changed my mind on some things.

      Delete
  10. Those would certainly make good blog material.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny that on many of the topics have been used on the blog.

      Delete
  11. Love the photos from your teaching days. Isn't it fun to find things we've forgotten about. I bet you can get some great blog topics out of those drawers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My teaching days are from another age. I retired in 1997.

      Delete
  12. I'm looking forward to reading some of your poems. Sounds interesting and fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only discovered the one poem that I'd forgotten about.

      Delete
  13. Looking forward to your blogging material! You always share fun and interesting things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I hope you find some of it interesting.

      Delete
  14. Looking forward to you sharing. I use to write assignments with my students, too. I doubt if i kept any of them, though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You must have so many memories from your teaching days Red. I look forward to more of your writings.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well I am loving the photos of you in your teaching days - especially the second picture where you appear to have adopted a ballet pose. Did you teach ballet?

    ReplyDelete
  17. how amazing that spring cleaning turned into such big fun for you dear Red :)

    i liked you old images ,you look like wonderful inspiring teacher to me if i look as student :)

    it happens to me sometimes that i keep store stuff for safety and completely forget about it

    rediscovering pleasurable things from past that reveal our side of personality that get undercover of the dust of time is pleasant surprise often and i am happy you had the chance my friend!

    ReplyDelete