Saturday, February 8, 2020

SOME EXPLANATIONS FOR THE TWO PREVIOUS POSTS

    The two previous posts brought lots of questions and comments. The experiences I had were very different and it was from a different age 1967-69.

    When I look back it's hard to imagine the conditions we lived under. We've always said it changed our lives forever and we look back at it as one of the best times of our lives.

     Mr Pudding from Yorkshire Pudding asked to see the petroglyphs so that gave me a large amount of homework. I had not taken any photos of the petroglyphs because I did not get out there. It was about 50 km away and we had to go around a point on the open sea. There are several excellent sites on this topic. I just had to find the best . ...and I still can't put links on my blog that take you to a site. AC kindly told me one way to copy a link for a video but that was not available for this video. Some day if I live long enough.....?

     However Fred Breummer had told my how he photographed them and I have seen his articles.   He took charcoal and darkened the outlines to get a better photo. These petroglyphs were put in soapstone which is a much softer rock. The soapstone in the Wakeham Bay area is dark gray and much harder than other areas. Some soapstone is soft and waxy and you can scratch it with your finger nail. The harder rock means the petroglyphs last much longer. I have one article in the house from a magazine called the Beaver summer of 1973. I don't think the Beaver is on line.

    However, I did find other sites with photos. Check out the site Images on Stone Qajartalik. This is a large site but  just look the part on Qajartalik.



 




16 comments:

  1. Nice follow-up. Sorry about the linking/sharing not working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You pointer works but not for the video I wanted. thanks.

      Delete
  2. I just googled Images on Stone Qajartalik and found some wonderful images. Thank you so much for this follow-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's lots of good stuff out there. You just have to find it.

      Delete
  3. I looked up Stone Qajartalik and found some excellent pictures of these petroglyphs. I have not had my blog long enough to try putting a video link on it but I guess that will be a learning experience for the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been blogging for a long time and haven't learned these skills.

      Delete
  4. Your previous commenters have given me the idea that I can look at these petroglyphs, too. I love the community aspect of blogging. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't take enough time to read comments on other blogs.

      Delete
  5. This journey down history lane is pretty neat. The coolest thing I discovered as a result of this post is the Archive of The Beaver magazine online. I never even heard of The Beaver before but, wow, what a great trove of Canadian History. OK, I found the Summer 1973 issue and folks can enjoy it at this link

    https://canadashistory.partica.online/canadas-history/the-beaver-summer-1973/flipbook/1/

    The article about The Petroglyphs of Hudson Strait begins on page 33 and there are photos of the masks on pages 33 and 35. And, just like you mentioned how Fred Breummer used charcoal to darken the outline to get a better photo, in the caption to the photo on page 35 it says, "Jaaka Amaamak traces the outlines of petroglyphs with black chalk to give emphasis to the shallow incisions." This is cool stuff Red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for finding this site. Yes there's lots of interesting stuff in life.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing. The Beaver's still around. It just got renamed to Canada's History. I once had one of my photos used for a special edition cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations. Okay, tell me which cover.

      Delete
  7. The petroglyphs really are amazing, when you consider how long they've been around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There seemed to be many in one area.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Computers are quirky. Links work for some and not others. Sometimes the site is copyrighted or a subscription is needed. I remember seeing my first petroglyphs in Hawaii. So long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We found some in Lake Superior Park. It was amazing.

    ReplyDelete