Tuesday, July 21, 2020

MY LAWN MOWER WORKS


      Some people wanted to know how my lawn mower  repair job ended. I immediately saw that as a topic for another post!



      So my repair job was to simply replace a rewind spring on my lawn mower.

     Okay I'll back up. In pioneer days , to start a small engine, you would wind a rope around a pulley and pull. If the engine started great! If the engine didn't start you wound the rope around the pulley and pulled again. Sometimes you had to pull 10 times for the engine to start.

     So some wise guy thought, "Why don't we have something to rewind the cord automatically and make things easier?" Well the gizmo was invented and was part of small engines. 

     Now I know some people's eyes are starting to glaze over and look for the end of this post. My eyes are glazing over too. 

     Okay back to my repair. The "unit" consists of a housing to hold the spring, a pulley with a rope, a worm gear and small plastic gear. The housing and pulley are on a shaft. The housing doesn't turn but the pulley does turn.

     Much of this you can't see because it's enclosed. Much of it you can't see because it's underneath whatever. Your hands have to feel things to put them back together. 

    The spring is a challenge to wind. First discover which way to wind it. It is wound opposite to the pulley with the rope. The rope is to turn the pulley counter clockwise. Too complicated for me. It took me four tries to get this right, but I did get it. I'm not going to tell about my dumb mistakes. 

     I'm not going to give details because who cares? Today most lawn mowers start by turning a switch!

38 comments:

  1. You are a great repairman! Congratulations on a repair job well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. It's something I struggle with.

      Delete
  2. Yes, my eyes were glazing a bit but only because I am not the least bit mechanical, so your description of the apparatus kind of went over my head. But you did it! That is the main thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    It is great you are even able to fix the lawn mower. MY hubby would have had to go and buy a new one. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After a while , it gets to be a matter of pride to keep it going.

      Delete
  4. Dear Red, yaay you for being able to fix your mower, for being able to figure out how stuff works, and being able to save money - and direct those dollars to something else. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Hiawatha House and leaving some praise.

      Delete
  5. I'm impressed with your technological skills. I retired my lawnmower when we downsized three years ago. Now my neighbor does my tiny lawn in about ten minutes,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days I'm going to have to take the plunge and move into something much smaller.

      Delete
  6. Brilliant! They don’t make them like that any more, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I just fell in love with you. I have not idea how to repair engines...or much else for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a lot of work, but it paid off. Congratulations! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hardest work was to figure the whole thing out.

      Delete
  9. I had to laugh at your description of the mechanics of the mower. You certainly know how to make something like the winding process sound very complicated. And you got 'er done! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me it's complicated. I'm spatially challenged.

      Delete
  10. Well, bravo for getting it right! Better than I could do, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a lawn mower like that for smaller jobs. Otherwise, it's my tractor. I've taken 25+ tries to start the old hting, but it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're pretty patient if you will give mower than 25 cranks to start your mower.

      Delete
  12. Congrats Red. A job well done, knew you could do it! Should have made a video to put on YouTube for others to learn. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now why didn't you tell me about the video before I finished. It would have been cool.

      Delete
  13. Well congratulations on fixing it. Once something like that breaks here, it's time for a new one. In fact, I did get a new little mower this spring. I completely wore the wheels off my old one. It was bright yellow but looked a lot like yours. I love the new red mower but it takes three or four pulls to get it started. The old mowe would start on the first pull, everytime. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small mowers are great for the small spaces.

      Delete
  14. I knew you would fix it. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a story. Of course the chances I would wind the rope around the pulley the wrong way are near 100%. The only thing similar in my recent history is assembly of a bbq grill. Took me 4 hours. My young neighbor laughed. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I come to think of it there are many things we have to assemble.

      Delete
  16. I am hopelessly challenged mechanically speaking, so I applaud your success!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I find this fascinating dear Red

    I think of people SUPERIOR who can fix almost everything just like you and hubby
    My father was watch repairman yet he hardly show his likening for fixing other things

    ReplyDelete
  18. The last time I used a lawn mower was for a former landlady who'd ask me do mow the lawn when it needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Zzzzzzzzz.... Is it over yet Red? When I catch you I am going to wind that rope around you. The Micro Manager will probably help me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What matters is — you got the job done!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Not knowing from one end of a screwdriver (just about) to another I am impressed you got your lawnmower fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  22. None of our mowers started by a switch and I do remember pulling on a cord to start the motor. Glad you got yours fixed, Red, even if the details went over my head. We no longer own a mower and don't cut any grass and that's OK with me.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hope you got it all fixed! Yes I recall the rope we used to use...and it was a pain in the butt...especially after a few winds and pulls:)

    ReplyDelete