Wednesday, September 9, 2020

EDUCATION OF A PRAIRIE BOY PART III

     So at about 6 years of age I  began the institutional part of my education. Bur don't forget that alongside the institution life experience and learning went on.

      The system I was going into was very different from other systems because of the territory. The Canadian prairies are huge and were sparsely populated. The Canadian prairies were settled around 1900. There were few railroads . Travel and freighting were done with horses. So schools had to be planned so that kids didn't have to travel too far to get to school. The plan was that kids shouldn't have to travel more than 4 miles. I was lucky. I only had to travel one mile and most of the time I walked.

     The school building was built in 1908 and was called Hiawatha. Ever hear the name Hiawatha used somewhere?. It was not insulated and was built with green lumber. As a result the lumber shrunk and left spaces the wind could blow through. The prairies are a very windy place. I remember the wind moaning around and through some of the building. The building also moved slightly in the wind so you always heard the creaking of nails and wood. So some days you listened to the wind song all day. 

     For some reason or other the little kids who were going to start school in September attended school in May and June.  It was a bit like a kindergarten. 

    The good citizens of the prairies were always very proud of their schools. The schools acted as a community center. Many times churches used the schools. 

   So before I actually get to school let me tell you that the education they provided was somewhat limited. Supplies of materials like books were limited. There was an initial purchase of books and not much after that. Teachers had very limited training. Some had not completed high school. Sometimes the school was closed for a while because they could not hire a teacher. Some teachers were very good and some very inept.

   This is the only photo I have of the building. I'm the little fellow in the middle row first left.


37 comments:

  1. I remember you telling us that you named your blog after that first school. That is a wonderful way to keep the school's name alive! I love hearing about your school days on the prairie. I could just hear the wind whistling through the school and the building creaking and groaning. The class picture you have is a wonderful keepsake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is also a marker at the site of the school. Everything is gone as the school closed in 1955.

      Delete
  2. Dear Red, bet it took several cords of wood to keep the classroom reasonably warm throughout the school year. But still, cracks in the walls during a(n always) windy January schoolday... bbrrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me wrong. the cracks were very small. The building usually warmed up by the time we went home.

      Delete
  3. Hello,

    It is interesting to read about your school days. I love seeing the old class photo. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very different because of the location.

      Delete
  4. With gaps in the walls, how the heck did you manage in winter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gaps were very small cracks. Most of the time the building warmed up by the time we went home. You get used to harsh conditions.

      Delete
  5. School was not easily come by or easy there but so important to the people. That is a great picture. I have a school photo of my mother’s which is special to our family as well.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The people did value education such as it was.

      Delete
  6. So that's where the title of your blog comes from! I like hearing about your adventure in getting educated yourself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure scientific studies have been done on this education system and how it performed.

      Delete
  7. I love reading about your early days there. Looking forward to more stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly different and I realize that .

      Delete
  8. Is that your brother in front of you? Looks like you are wearing matching sweaters. This is a great story and it is so interesting to me. Thanks for sharing your life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good eye. Yes that is my brother. My sister is in the front row second last.

      Delete
  9. Interesting to read about your early school days and discover where the name of your blog came from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, you get marks for reading carefully.

      Delete
  10. I very much enjoy hearing and reading about such experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here a lot of the one room schoolhouses started being replaced in the 60s with a fairly standard red brick style of larger school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the prairie country schools closed in the 50's and some were gone in the 40's.

      Delete
  12. I do think a challenging childhood can bring out the best in a generation. Those children who have never faced dramatic change or challenge tend to be more entitled.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, Red. Is that a picture of your class or a picture of the entire school? I’m thinking it is the latter. And is that one of the good teachers or one of the inept ones? I’m hoping the former.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post, Red. Is that a picture of your class or a picture of the whole school? I’m thinking it’s the latter. And is that one of the good teachers or one of the inept ones? I’m hoping it’s the former.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photo is of all the students going to the school. You'll have to wait for comments on the teacher.

      Delete
  15. Tough school days back them with a freezing classroom and bitter cold weather outside. A great series you have going, Red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were used of the conditions and carried on very well.

      Delete
  16. Those are great memories of your first school. What a different time it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a difference but it has taken time .

      Delete
  17. The poor teacher; cold wind around her legs. And all the girl students, too. I'm looking forward to hearing how you all manged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People were used to conditions and coped very well. I never remember being cold at school.

      Delete
  18. It's hard even for me to imagine what it was like.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wonder how the kids could learn if they were cold...thanks for sharing your memories and the old photo!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I also enjoyed reading about your early school days, Red, and now know how your blog was titled. Children adapt and though many others have wondered about the school being cold, you said it never seemed that way by the time classes started.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have certainly had a very interesting, unique early life, Red.

    ReplyDelete