Saturday, April 24, 2021

LEAVING THE NORTH

      This photo is just before the airplane came in to take us south.  Our baggage was on the G - 5 . 

    This was July 22 and I'm wearing a light winter jacket. I'm also wearing rubber boots. Most of the ground was soggy and wet. You couldn't wear ordinary shoes. 

      We had been at Wakeham Bay for two very busy years. I was teacher, principal and Local administrator. The principal position was a joke as there was only one other teacher. The teaching load was challenging as these kids had only been in school for five years . The Local administrator position paid the handsome salary of $1000.00 per year. Sometimes I worked on administration as much as teaching. 

     I had to account to the government for every dime I spent. I could write checks for $2000.00 per month for soapstone carvings. I gave out social assistance . Did I  say  correspondence? Lots of it.

     We did not have a post office. A bag or bags of mail would come in on the odd



airplane if somebody remembered to put it on. I would have to go through correspondence. 

    The Inuit didn't send out letters or receive letters. But some of them did some work at the mine and as a result had to pay income tax. They would get T4 slips. They knew that the would get money from T4 slips and would come up to me. I would fill out their income tax forms. 

   So here I am just a few hours before leaving, still working. I was distributing the family allowance checks. Family allowance is a system where mothers are paid so much for each child. It was one of my jobs to give them their checks. 

   I also had to sort out some mysteries. For most of the two years I would get a letter asking about the whereabouts of a certain child. At first I had no idea who the parents might be. The Govt. was paying family allowance for this kid. Finally I was talking to a family one day about this issue and they talked amongst themselves. I could understand what they were saying. It was their child. Apparently the child's birth was registered but the child died shortly after.  This had happened on an island off the coast. 

     So because I enjoyed all this work it was a sad time to leave.

    It was July 22 and teachers could have been gone for three weeks. I enjoyed the work and wanted to help the people as much as I could.

35 comments:

  1. Hello,
    It is great when you have a job you enjoy and actually are a big help to
    the people and community. Happy Sunday, have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The job was just there and I went a head and did it. It was satisfying.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an experience that changed my life forever.

      Delete
  3. Such interesting photos, Red. Makes me wonder what year these were taken. Your job there was so multi-dimensional.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going through these old slides is such a wonderful chance to reminisce about your life experiences. Thanks for taking us along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We spend a lot of time laughing and saying, "I'd forgotten about this." Yes, it's interesting.

      Delete
  5. What an experience. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting photos! How was the government sending family allowance to the kid if they didn't know who the kid's parents were?! Or did they know but not tell you? Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. they didn't tell me until later and that's when the mystery was solved.

      Delete
  7. Quite an adventure ... and congrats., because it sounds like you did some good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a place where you couldn't just close the door and ignore people. They were also very good to us.

      Delete
  8. I do so admire all the work and good you did for the Inuit people. I hope conditions have improved for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things have changed but not really improved. Some people have done well.

      Delete
  9. It's a great way to see the situation as it truly was, Red. Thank you for all you did and still do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The school had only been open for five years. Before that they were hunters and nomads.

      Delete
  10. What a challenging but also rewarding position you held! I enjoy hearing about your days with the Inuit. The pictures are amazing to see! You have certainly had an interesting life and helped many in the process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many people don't get it that you make your own life satisfying.

      Delete
  11. That must have been a challenging, amazing and very rewarding experience. I enjoyed reading this, thanks Red :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was challenging and that's why we left after two years.

      Delete
  12. The very best sort of government employee. A very hard job and you entered completely into the spirit of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the people were very good to me and I appreciated that.

      Delete
  13. I met a lot of air mechanics and bush pilots in my day. Most of them were very, very good but the odd one was crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just enough to make me want to hear "The Rest of the Story" as Mr. Harvey used to say.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an amazing adventure you and Jean must have had up there. I guess that most Canadians never visit that northerly region. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I hope there are more pictures to come.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A rich and fascinating life!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fascinating time in your life. I'd love to hear more tales of your time up there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It sounds challenging but such important work too. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i am late to this adventure dear Red ,i wish i could have followed you and be on time to read wonderful sharing that i enjoy so much !

    when you are posted to remote rough area and for years ,it is so natural to develop strong bonding with people you encountered on daily bases .
    performing multiple tasks while having title of one job is also quite common here specially in remote areas where post are kept vacant deliberately

    ReplyDelete
  20. Interesting to see the photos and hear about your work. I can see that teaching was a small part of it.

    ReplyDelete