Thursday, April 29, 2021

TRANSPORTATION

      I was scanning some slides today that reminded me of transportation or lack of it in the north. 

      As you know I spent two years in a very isolated northern settlement called Wakeham Bay  which is now known as Kangiqsujuaq. The population was approximately 200 people 

      At the time I was there from 1967 to 69 transportation was almost nil. The nearest road was more than 500 miles away. There was no airstrip and there was no dock for ships to unload.

      All freight was  brought in by ship. The Hudson Bay Co would charter a ship to bring in all their trading supplies. The ship would anchor in the bay about a mile off shore. Freight was loaded into small powered barges . These little barges could move up to the beach. Then all freight was taken off by hand. Most trading posts were built on the beach so their warehouse was not far from the beach where the freight was dropped, 






All people in the settlement pitched in to unload the supplies. You can see two women carrying a 100 lb bag of flour.

    Now this system was not as simple as it looks.

    The commerce was all trade. These trading posts used very little cash. It was all trade. 

     I think there was roughly $200.00 in cash in the community. It was used to play poker. 

    So If a hunter or trapper wanted to go out he would go to the store to get supplies . He may want gun shells, flour, baking powder, lard and tea. He would be given the supplies on credit. When he came back he would trade his skins and pay off his debt.

    The people knew what they were doing when the volunteered to unload the ship. They knew that this labor might make it easier at times to get credit.

 

   

31 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Things make more sense after you've left the place and had time to think about things.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Some things I didn't know what I was getting into.

      Delete
  3. It is really interesting hearing about their lifestyle. You must have many stories from the time you spent there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lots of stories. It was mot dull.

      Delete
  4. Hello,
    What a life, the people were hard workers. Have a great day, happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They worked hard but had a long experience in how to survive.

      Delete
  5. I have only read about places like that, but you lived it. Fascinating indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out Fred Breumer. He was a great northern photographer and stayed at my place for a week. He had tremendous knowledge of the arctic.

      Delete
  6. This is so interesting, Red. These slides give a view of a way of life that is so far and different from how it was here in the USA in the late 1960s. I so love this view. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This way of life has disappeared too so I was lucky to see it.

      Delete
  7. It must have been difficult to survive such a life. They did what they had to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they knew what to do and were good at it.

      Delete
  8. That's life in the village. Your photos are looking great with the colour and are nice and crisp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out Fred Breumer. He was a northern photographer and spent time in Alaska. He stayed at my place for a week. I might find a photo of him.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Tremendous changes...not all of them good. Most teachers are now aboriginal.

      Delete
  10. Fascinating. I’m also noticing how popular the color red was in this remote area. I’m sure some color was needed in the dull and long winters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trading post brought in only a few bolts of cloth. the people took what they could get.

      Delete
  11. I wonder how much has changed now from the time you spent there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Massive changes in these settlements. I would be a long list. Most teachers are aboriginals.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. They knew nothing else and would have been extremely homesick if they left. After I left I really wanted to go back. I was homesick!

      Delete
  13. Interesting! A barter system! I can't imagine living somewhere where there wasn't even a road for 500 miles!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Red, Wow, I'm enjoying the slides you are scanning. This is interesting to look back at your experience in Wakeham Bay. Obviously, you decided on a scanner to buy ... you've probably mentioned it, but I missed out on which one. Anyway, it is doing a great job. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very interesting Red! I enjoyed seeing your slides...:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wakeham Bay is now known as Kangiqsujuaq which is much better. I wonder who or what Wakeham was? I notice that Kangiqsujuaq now has its own Wikipedia page where the gathering of blue mussels from beneath the winter ice is referred to. Did you ever go under the ice to collect these mussels? Did you eat them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wakeham was a ship captain. I did go under the ice and gather mushrooms. I wouldn't have missed it. It's creepy as the ice moves a bit and creaks. Yes, I ate the mussels. the kids used to come to the house with a small pail of mussels. The mussels were terrible as they were black mussels and very tough and gritty. Besides that, prairie boys know nothing about mussels.

      Delete
  17. Thanks for telling the story! I have always thought it would be neat to live in a similar place for awhile but I'm sure the first real emergency would change my tune quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's so wonderful that you took all these photos as a record of all you saw during your time there.

    ReplyDelete