Tuesday, August 31, 2021

SO MANY QUESTIONS.

                                         PART I 

          A few posts ago I wrote about asking aging parents and seniors questions about their life. Mostly we don't ask questions because we can think of nothing to ask. 

          I challenged my daughter on the questions. I knew she'd have lots to ask. At one time she wanted to be a journalist and she would have been a good one with all the questions she can think of. 

         In a way some these questions sound like a psycho analysis. It looks like an interesting project so here goes. I think I will divide this into sections so this will be part one. 

          I will use two fonts: one for my daughter and one for me so that you can see who is speaking. 

You asked me if I had any questions for you.  Buckle up!  I have lots:
  • where have you never traveled to, but wish you had, and why?

               There are many places I would like to have travelled. At heart I am a traveler. One trip I always wanted to take was the train ride across Siberia. As you may know I like the north. The great Siberian north would have been fascinating. I don't know if that train runs anymore.  Too may other things have come up in my life to make these trips. To do much travelling you have to become a full time traveler. 

  • where was your favorite place that you've traveled to (or lived in) and why?

                   Going to Disneyland when you were little was a great trip. I like road trips so it was a good road trip.  I really liked Hawaii and would go back again. The west coast of Vancouver Island was great at Long Beach. I've lived in some very different and interesting places but I have to say that Red Deer is the best. We had our kids here and raised them. It's really home. 

  • favorite book?

         That's a hard one. I just don't do favorites. I suppose that comes from spending most of my life in Middle School and I didn't like to play favorites with the kids.  How about the Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck? I just read Out of Africa and would like to see the movie. 

  • favorite movie?

       I watch very few movies but I should. I will always remember the first movie I saw and it was at a drive in. It was a sappy movie called Old Yeller. I liked it and I think it is still being played.  

  • favorite musician and/or type of music?

       I love music and as one librarian said when I was taking out CDs, "You have a very wide taste in music." Again I have trouble with favorites. I like classical, blues, jazz, rock and many more. I don't like rap and modern country. Lately I've been listening to you tube. I can dial up what I want. Some of the music I used to like doesn't seem so good any more. The last while it's been Austrian folk music. Somebody once gave me some great French CDs. 


32 comments:

  1. The Out of Africa movie was better than the book... in my opinion. You might find it on youtube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea . I'll look and see if I can find it.

      Delete
  2. That is interesting to read your answers. It is hard to pick a favorite in those categories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like picking which of your kids is your favorite.

      Delete
  3. Hello,
    I like the questions and your answers! There are so many places I would still like to visit. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once thought that the TSR would be a very interesting journey. I am not not sure that it would have been. Maybe for the single, young and adventurous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only ones I knew who took is were a young couple who were friends. They found it fascinating.

      Delete
  5. Great project here, Red. I like seeing your responses, and I think she would have made a great journalist, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I go through lots of books, way more than anybody I know. I frequently get asked which one is my favorite and find it impossible to answer. Most frequently, I just answer with the last one I finished.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are good questions and this is an interesting post, Red! I can never pick favorites either. Vancouver Island sounds like a beautiful place to visit. I wonder if it is too late for me to try to go there. I will have to think about that. Thanks, Red!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vancouver Island id very doable. I would go again at the drop of a hat and I've been there many times.

      Delete
  8. This is such a wonderful thing to be doing with your daughter. A true treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter is a great talker. I just sit and listen.

      Delete
  9. I remember a few years back, the actors and friends Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman doing a London to New York ride by motorbike in a documentary and book. Their time spent in Siberia was an experience.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great idea. I remember my sister sitting my grandmother down in front of a video camera and asking her questions. Funny thing…my Mom was off to the side and she kept disagreeing with a lot of the family history my grandmother was trying to convey.!

    Thanks for your kind words on my blog …Janey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had those experiences. I quite often disagree with the family historian.

      Delete
  11. This is a wonderful project for you and your daughter. I hope you save copies of this in a journal or something similar. I'm like you when it comes to choosing favorites. I have a hard time doing that because I like a lot of different things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got many things that I should pull out of the blog

      Delete
  12. It's fun to see your responses. I can't really name favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of these are things we could talk about all night.

      Delete
  13. Great that you are answering questions for your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Old Yeller was a great Movie! What a great project!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was surprised by the type of questions asked. I expected something more direct. She just has a different way of getting there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, God, "Old Yeller." I saw that movie as a kid and it traumatized me! Similar to "The Yearling."

    It's great that you were able to go through these questions with your daughter! I'm eager to see Part II!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting answers. Since I taught literature people were always asking what my favorite book or author was. I dreaded the question because how can you pick! It’s like your children — you love them all differently.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I too have a hard picking favourite movies, books, music etc. My tastes are so diverse. You say you don't like country music. Do you like Cajun or Zydeco? Lately I've been listening to more Zydeco on You Tube. It's all very interesting to learn a little of the history of the people and their music too

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful! So very much enjoyed. Thank you Red :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I haven't read Out of Africa, but I really enjoyed the movie. Your daughter came up with EXCELLENT questions. I would have a hard time answering many of those questions too. It's hard to come up with a Favorite anything... except candy. That's easy. Chocolate. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. i thank your daughter for this great idea and post eventually .i loved listening interviews ,similarly as i loved visiting elderly people of my village and hearing their stories ,i was never tired of asking questions lol .i don't know why i have such instinct but i do and i feel that learning from those who came lot before you and faced life with their certain attitude is amazing thing and now at fifty it is very useful thing either :)

    i like your simple way of life and your satisfaction with it dear Red ,this is truly a gift !

    ReplyDelete