Friday, September 3, 2021

SO MANY QUESTIONS

                              Part II

     Many of the questions in this list could be talked about all night. So writing brief answers doesn't do them justice , but it does make me think about things. 

  • favorite color 

                 Well again I don't have a favorite color. When I was a kid we had 7 or 8 basic colors in our box of crayons we had for school. Now there are hundreds of colors and I don't keep track of them.  

           favorite food/dish/meal?

               I have a good appetite and like food. I'll just be very direct and come out and say my favorite is everything my Mom cooked! Now I hope you don't take offense because I've eaten your food and you're a very good cook. . My Mom , your Grandma was a very good cook. We had meat , potatoes and veggies. She was the best baker in the whole world...cakes, cookies pies, bread, desserts . Oh ya. She always gave us a hunk of bread dough to play with! All this she did on a wood burning cook stove . Not only great food came off that cook stove but it was warm to cuddle up around when we were little kids. I will never forget Mom's Christmas dinners. I will never forget all the baking she did for Christmas. I would like to be able to eat it all again. 

  • if you hadn't been a teacher, what else would you have wanted to do for a living?  what did you dream of being when you were a kid?

      When I was a little kid all I ever thought about was being a farmer. It's the only thing we knew about as we hadn't been exposed to anything else.  I became a teacher by accident. Close to the end of gr 12 I knew that I would "pass". I didn't get along with Dad on the farming business. He encouraged me to try something else. His suggestion was nursing.  Nursing did not interest me in the least. . So the only thing that interested me and was doable was to go to Teachers' College. Looking back. I chose the right thing. I really wanted to do something that was outdoors. Working with wildlife interested me. To this day I'm very interested in birds , animals and plants. 

  • did you always want to move far from home when you were younger (and went north) or was that just a happy accident?  

              This is really two questions. I am and was an introvert. I didn't want to leave home however, staying at home and farming was not an option. The first year I was away I was very, very homesick. However , you get used to being on your own. Going north was an accident. As I little boy I was keenly interested in the north. I read many books about life in the north. The planning of Inuvik started about 1950 and they started to build in the early fifties. There were quite often items in the paper which I read. I followed developments. However, I never had any thoughts of going there. Years later I applied for a teaching position in Canada's Northland and they placed me in Inuvik.  

36 comments:

  1. So interesting to read questions and answers. Keep it going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More great questions and answers. I remember my grandmother's cooking and baking more than my mothers. Have a great day and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the past generations had to cook as there was very little prepared food.

      Delete
  3. Fascinating! I think you were destined to be a teacher all along. I sure enjoyed hearing your answers to these questions, Red. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I hear the answers too. You have to sit back on some of these and really think about things.

      Delete
  4. I love reading this, Red. It is such a wonderful thing that you and your daughter are doing. Great questions and answers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great, Red. How nice to be having these discussions with your daughter. I regret the lost stories in our family now that our older relatives have passed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think many regret not finding out some of the simple things about their family.

      Delete
  6. I love this Q&A format! We're all learning so much about you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are having fun however for some reason she can't get on my blog to participate. we're still working at it.

      Delete
  7. Funny how we often find our calling in life by accident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a few other accidents that turned out well. The city I moved to in 1969 was supposed to be a one year stay. Here I am 52 years later in the same place . It was a great move.

      Delete
  8. I left home to go to uni but I didn’t have tp go far and always maintained close ties. And I have had Sue wth me throughout most of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people are ready to get out and some ore not. I wasn't ready.

      Delete
  9. I loved reading this Red, a great way for our kids to find out more about their parents.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed reading this and parts of it reminded me of my Dad because he grew up on a farm but did not want to continue that work. It's wonderful how life led you to Inuvik!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The farm is life. Not like a job all by itself.

      Delete
  11. Hi Red, Wow, you've pumped out a couple of nice posts since my last visit. Enjoyed reading all these questions and your answers. This reminded me that 6 years ago a young lady gave me a blogger award for answering her questions. It was called the Liebster Award. I answered her in this post
    https://john-s-island.blogspot.com/2015/06/liebster-award-from-bethany.html
    Anyway, it is interesting to read all your answers. I thought it especially interesting how you ended up teaching. Keep up the good work with Hiawatha House! John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. In some school projects we used questions. I will look at your post.

      Delete
  12. It's interesting to read your answers. It also makes me think of how I would answer those same questions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you found a calling that totally fit the bill for you. I was having a hard time coming up with an idea for a post and a friend sent me questions like yours that I wrote and scheduled for next week. It's funny how life sometimes provides you with just what you need. I'm lucky right now that mom is still with us, BUT she has forgotten how to make most of those dishes that my brother and I loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have forgotten a lot of things too. I've forgotten some people and events.

      Delete
  14. Isn’t it funny how we can stumble into the right profession! Great you found something you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, after 5 years I almost gave it up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i felt while reading this portion that Nature led you smoothly where you felt related and serene dear Red because you love Nature and she loved you back and thoroughly !

    you had no idea what to do yet you got job that you enjoyed most and because of this job you got what you wanted an "outdoor " adventure :)

    you wanted to travel to the north and Nature made it happen for you though little late .
    i can so relate to this pattern because observed it throughout my life and now my faith in mysterious force and miracles is deeper :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wondered what your connection with the Arctic was.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm just catching up with some back posts. I think that was a fascinating thing to do and the resulting questions and answers were very informative as well.

    ReplyDelete