Tuesday, September 7, 2021

DAD AND FISHING

   The other day I found a picture of Dad that I didn't know I had. It was of Dad at his favorite past time...fishing. 

 Dad was absolutely obsessed with fishing. He was more obsessed with eating the fish he caught. 

    Where Dad's family lived they were about 50 miles from the closest fish. In those days they weren't going to go 50 miles to fish. 

    So Dad's first fishing experience was to catch suckers in the spring when they were spawning. These small creeks ran high with spring runoff and they were full of spawning fish. The sucker has a very small mouth and doesn't take a hook. So the method of catching them was to use a net. There many species of sucker and I think every province in Canada has suckers. 

     Dad with one of his fish

    Happiness!

    Now it was on pretty good authority that fishing was illegal in the spring during spawning. However, Dad could not resist fishing for suckers and as long as he lived there he caught suckers every spring. 

    Now these fish were full of little bones. However, Dad loved them. He would bring home many fish and Mom would can them. 

    Dad did graduate to rod and reel and casting and trolling. He flew into northern lakes and hired guides to find the best fishing spots. The guides fried fish on shore for lunch. 

   We laid dad's fishing rod on Dad's casket at his funeral.

   By the look on Dad's face you can tell how much he liked fishing for suckers and that he may have felt a little uncomfortable breaking the law.




   A couple of spectators!

23 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Nice story about your Dad, his fishing rod being buried with his casket. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't bury the fishing rod. it was only there during the service.

      Delete
  2. This is so sweet a story. Fond memories. I'm glad you found the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My great grandfather and grandfather were huge fishermen but somehow, it didn't trickle down to me. I enjoy it when I go but just rarely go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did some fishing when I was in the Arctic but I haven't fished since I came south.

      Delete
  4. Those aren't like the suckers that I think of. I guess I am thinking of bloodsuckers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many species of suckers. The ones in Alberta are all under a foot long.

      Delete
  5. Nice photos of your dad doing what he loved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the photos are better if they are enlarged.

      Delete
  6. My Dad loved fishing too and I am glad that my middle son, Matt, has inherited his love of fishing. It is sweet to see Matt teaching his son, Stephen, all about fishing and sharing the excitement that he shared with my Dad. Brings back wonderful memories of time spent with my Dad. Thanks, Red!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I fished with Dad many times. I will never forget how excited he got when he caught a fish.

      Delete
  7. I love to eat fresh caught fish, but fishing never held any attraction for me otherwise. Good story about your dad! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fresh fish right out of the water is the greatest. You'd never buy another fish from a store.

      Delete

  8. Eating bony, canned fish? That's dedication to fishing and liking what you catch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don’t understand that love of fishing but people enjoy their time in nature. That I understand.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful it is that you found those pictures. I enjoyed your description of your Dad's love of fishing. It was perfect that you had his fishing rod on his casket.

    ReplyDelete
  11. many of the old farmers like my dad liked suckers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Suckers are good smoked...I like them! Nets or spears...that is how I recall it done:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always enjoyed fishing when I was young but haven't fished in years. Love your old photos of your dad fishing. Nice memories for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is such a lovely story about your dad. Well, fish is healthier so it's great he liked fishing so much. That is a HUGE fish!

    ReplyDelete