Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Answering the Condo Question


Hello everyone, this is NOT Red writing now, but his daughter.  As you know, he recently asked me if I had any questions for him (I do, and lots of 'em, as you can see by his recent posts trying to answer them) and in turn, I asked if he had any questions to ask me.  To my surprise, his was about my first property purchase.  Did not see that one coming!

Honestly, I don't remember a ton about my process for it.  This was way back in the mid-90s.  What I do recall very vividly is that, after renting for a couple of years in a small apartment (a decent enough place for a young person out on her own for the first time), I was quickly fed up with elements of shared accommodation.  I especially loathed having to share laundry facilities.  Another tenant in the building was a painter by trade, so go ahead and imagine what the washer drum looked like after he ran a load through!  Ugh.  I disliked having to schlep downstairs, check for timing, have coins ready etc.  I only ever had to do that once more, as I rented when I first moved to the US, and hated it as much or more than ever.  To this day, it's a deal-breaker in real estate for me; I'd never again live in a place where I don't have my own in-suite laundry or the option to install it.  

That said, I also knew well enough that it was far better to own your place than pay someone else's mortgage while they gain all the equity and have control. My parents were homeowners (I think by then they were mortgage free) and it seemed to me it was the "thing to do" as an adult.  After all, the Micromanager was nothing if not consistent and frequent about money talk, and how not to be stupid about it.  Some of that actually sank in.

Also, having a place of my own, even if rented, meant that for the first time, I could start decorating the way I wanted to.  This ignited a spark in me that has meant a life-long love for domesticity in ways I couldn't imagine when I was younger.  I'm only half-joking when I tell people there's a parallel me in a parallel universe and she's renovating and decorating all the time!  Renting doesn't let one go to the lengths I desired in making a space my own, so it made sense to buy.  I learned a lot from those projects and continue to do so.

I can't recall what exactly prompted me to get an agent and start looking, but that's what I did. I remember going to several different places, all condos and townhouses, and assessing which options made the most sense for me, and matched the price I could afford.  Turned out the winner was only 2 blocks from the apartment I was renting (made for easy moving, other than it just had to snow that day and we were using a coverless pickup truck to move all my things).  I believe that was in February 1996.  The picture is a later one, as we had the building trim re-painted at some point (my idea, I'm sure).  It was 4 condo units where a house used to be.  Split level (never again when it means you walk through your entry area to access stairs!) on a corner lot (never again - too much shoveling!!) and maybe 1,000sf in total.  It even had a fireplace, which I loved.  It was bigger than the apartment, it was mine, and it needed all the work I could hope to put into it, which made me happy.  

I do recall that the Micromanager got really mad at me when she found out I bought it.  I suspect, looking back, she was miffed because I didn't get my parents involved in any of what I was doing.  At the time, I was stunned at the reaction - didn't I just check all the boxes in a long list of smart, grown up things to accomplish to get ahead??  It was a trying time, but eventually she came around.  I suppose in some ways I didn't involve my parents because I wanted to do it on my own, I figured I could do it on my own, and I didn't want to have to contend with conflicting opinions or advice on what to do.  I definitely have an independent streak.  Nevermind they lived in a different city, so it wasn't going to be convenient to wait around for them to come over and get directly involved.

From a first-time buyer perspective, it was a great choice.  I was able to walk to work, was in a well located neighborhood that was older and interesting, it had 2 bedrooms, a small yard, off-street parking and such.  I could make of it what I wanted, which wasn't too much at the time as I wasn't making tons of money, but I enjoyed being clever about making improvements on a tight budget.  In the 3 or so years I lived there, I got quite a few things done to improve it (and it needed some improving for sure!) and when it came time to sell, I made a very tidy profit that allowed me a decent down payment for my next home purchase, which was an even larger townhome with more improvement adventures to enjoy.

Dad, does that answer your question to your satisfaction?

M.

40 comments:

  1. I have contemplated making a buy, perhaps in three or so years. The problem being, since I live alone, does one really need a three or four bedroom home? No.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M here - actually, depending on what you want to do with your space, having a few bedrooms is ideal for one person. Gives you flexibility for things like a home office, exercise space or hobby/craft room. Also handy if you ever have guests staying over.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. M here - thanks! It definitely was worth it.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like an exciting time for you. I can tell how proud you felt about home ownership. I am sure your decorating DIY attitude has helped you throughout your years of fixing up your homes. Good answer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M here - Thanks Ellen. Yes, I still am going strong with ideas and projects for house #3, though my husband at times manages to temper the enthusiasm a bit. He was warned though...

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you handled everything perfectly well! And it looks like the perfect place for the first-time homebuyer. Should we have the Micromanager write her side of the story? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M here - Hahaha! Well, buckle up if you want the Micromanager's perspective. It was a great first home, and a great experience having it.

      Delete
  5. You sure do have an independent streak, but that sounds just perfect for someone to do. I am glad you were able to enjoy it so much, and that you even made a profit! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M here - Thanks. Yup, I sure can go off on my own tangent when I want to. I've managed to profit nicely off two home sales, and hopefully when the time comes, the 3rd one will pay off too.

      Delete
  6. I'm sure Dad will be leased with your answer, and now I have a little more insight in to how your family works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M here - well, his comment shows that he appreciated the insight, and my instincts were right about getting parental advice. LOL!

      Delete
  7. Hello to Red's daughter! I so loved reading this story of your first home purchase. Sounds like you did a great job! I look forward to more answers to your dad's questions here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M here - Thanks Robin. He has to ask me more questions first, as the only one so far is about the condo. I'm sure I'll be back again soon...

      Delete
  8. Great story! I appreciate your independent streak, except our daughter independently decided to move to B. C. with our only grandchildren. We live in Ontario.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M here - ooh, that can be so tough when everyone's far apart. I'm now a very long way from family too, so it's a good thing we have lots of tech now to help keep in touch.

      Delete
  9. It was interesting to read of your venture into home ownership. Sadly, that same venture is not open to many young people these days. Thank you M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M here - Marie, that's so sadly true. Even for my time, I was ahead of the curve in home ownership, as I was only in my mid-20s. It's a lot harder and more expensive now to buy in most places, which is a real shame. I feel very fortunate.

      Delete
  10. I can relate to wanting to put personal touches on a home and you obviously have a knack for it.

    Red, This is a great idea, I'm enjoying your conversation :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M here - Yes, it's part of what makes a house (or apartment) truly a home. My tastes and style have evolved over the years, but I still enjoy the little things that make a space cozy, comfortable and welcoming.

      Delete
  11. You bet it answers questions...some questions I never thought of. You were smart to to limit the advice. If you'd asked us you would still be dithering about the advice. You really lucked out on selling when the prices went up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M here - Hurray! Glad you got some good info from it. Yes, I'm sure there'd still be dithering if I'd asked for input, so my instincts there were correct. I totally lucked out in both cases on selling at a tidy profit, so am hoping when the time comes, the next house sale will yield the same.

      Delete
  12. What a wonderfully independent girl you've raised, Red (and the Micromanager, too!) I loved your story. There is nothing like taking a leap of faith and discovering that you can fly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M here - yup, it's great to remind myself at times I really can "fly" and make a go of things, whether they excite or even scare me.

      Delete
  13. Hi M. You are a smart gal...good for you figuring out home ownership instead of renting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M here - owning vs. renting... each has unique advantages and challenges. I much prefer owning, for any number of reasons. It's worked well for me and I expect it to continue.

      Delete
  14. Congratulations! It sounds like you made some excellent decisions and handled them well, even making a profit when you sold. Not all young people are brave enough to do what you did at a young age. I'm sure you have learned a lot with each home purchase you have made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M here - thanks Bonnie. I'm sure nowadays it's way harder for many younger people to do what I did. Housing costs so much more than when I started in the 90s. I've learned a ton and it's been very useful for improving home purchase choices ever since. I sometimes think I should create a course to help people avoid common mistakes in home buying...

      Delete
  15. Somehow your father's blog had been dropped off my reading list so I haven't visited in ages. This exercise is a great idea. I admire your independence, a good indication of your upbringing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M here - thanks for catching up again. It's an interesting experience we have going on here.

      Delete
  16. What an interesting post. What an interesting idea - asking your offspring questions and vice versa. I shall have to go back and read the catchup posts from my recent blog absence.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello, Red's daughter!
    It is great to hear about your first place, the condo sounds perfect. Walking to work, a safe neighborhood and a fireplace is really nice. It is much better to own than to rent. Thanks for sharing your story. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M here - hello! It was a great starter home. If I knew then what I know now, I'd sure make it even better than I did at the time, but that's how we learn and grow.

      Delete
  18. I think you are a responsible adult who did her own decision making and may have forgot to inform your parents about your independence. That is a great thing. They are proud of you I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M here - hard to believe my parents could ever forget I have such an independent streak, but so be it. LOL!

      Delete
  19. You sound as though you know what you want and are pretty determined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M here - I do like getting my way, and I'm not afraid to work for it.

      Delete
  20. You know what? You sound like a chip off of the ol' block. You think things through and make your own decision.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree with Anvilcloud. You sound like you think things through and stand by your decision. Hmmm... Sounding like a chip off the ol' block, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  22. M here - well, I admit I will analyze and agonize at times before making a decision (especially a big one like buying real estate) which I think actually reflects much of the Micromanager's approach. However, I tend to move a lot faster in making up my mind and then acting on the decision.

    ReplyDelete