Tuesday, September 28, 2021

SCRUMBLY PART II

       Yes, I admit that I was pranking with my word scrumbly. You're a very tactful group of readers. Some knew that it wasn't a word and DJan  said,  "Nice new word."  Steve  really knew what was going on and tactfully said , "Is that a word?" Others said they liked the "new" word.

      So it was fun and I hope I haven't lost any followers. I have to single out one reader who didn't get it and she should have. My daughter should have caught me since she was in on one of my pranks. 

     I was put in charge of marking the written part of middle school language arts exams. There had to be  little orientation before we started marking. I usually took three papers, a poor one. a middle one and a very good one. We would mark these and if everything went as it should most marks given would be fairly close. One year I decided to have some fun. I asked my daughter to write the exam topic. She wrote it with a few errors. She gave herself the name "Chrissy" I gave the paper to the markers to mark. They gave the paper a mark from a D to A. Then they got going at each other. They puzzled. Finally, one teacher said, "This was not written by a student" I was busted. It taught us a good lesson about the difference between teen age writing and adult writing. So my daughter should have been on to me. 

     One of the more interesting books I've read was The Meaning of Everything: The History of the English Oxford Dictionary by Simon Winchester. The dictionary was put together over many years and is still growing. It consists of many volumes. Our local librarian commented many times about buying the Oxford English Dictionary , but it's so expensive that he could never find money in the budget.  The process was interesting . It's an easy read . I like Simon Winchester's books. 

      So I'm afraid that scrumbly will never make any dictionary and justifiable so. 

41 comments:

  1. Years ago when my wife and I were taking a writing class at different times so we had different teachers. Mine was taught by a woman and hers by a man. Our topics were the same, write something on sports. When we got them back, I had an A and my wife had a B. We laughed about it, it was an interesting exercise. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool but marking writing is difficult.

      Delete
  2. But why not? It's a great word, Red. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, I have no memory at all of this prank paper incident, though I believe you. Secondly, I make up crazy words all the time and use them liberally, so who cares if you used "scrumbly"? I liked it. Better that than all those out there who misspell words or use poor grammar, which muddles the meaning worse than any invented word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are often words I do not recognize in the blogs I read from all over the globe so I did not think twice about "scrumbly" as I knew what you meant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how so many people said they knew what it meant!

      Delete
  5. I loved the word "scumbly" and was glad that you introduced us to a made up word. I had never heard it before, but thought it was something that sounded appropriate for the fall colors there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it came into my head it made sense.

      Delete
  6. I've read probably more than a handful of Simon Winchester books. They are always well researched and written. I like that he doesn't get so in depth that it becomes tedious to read as other non-fiction authors are sometimes prone to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winchester keeps things moving so it keeps my interest. I must look for another of his books.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. It popped into my head and seemed to make sense. It was fun.

      Delete
  8. I thought it might be a colloquial expression. And it's now in my brain, and not necessarily under the heading "made-up" - haha

    But your daughter has a point - the language is always evolving, new words being added, new meanings being created. Look at "literally", for instance: it used to mean "in actual fact"; so many people have been using it wrong that it now has an officially recognized OPPOSITE meaning "not in actual fact". I don't like that, but I have to live with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Words certainly evolve and sometimes very quickly.

      Delete
  9. I dunno -- now that you've invented the word, if we all use it and are persistent, maybe we can get it to catch on!

    (You could have told me that "scrumbly" was Canadian slang and I'd have believed it.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are projects that push for the inclusion of a word in the language.

      Delete
  10. It may not be in the dictionary, but I like the sound of scrumbly and I knew just what you meant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if it's spelled correctly?

      Delete
  11. I didn't comment on the last post because I had trouble fitting the word "scrumbly" with the photos. Even though autumn was pictured as uneven, the photos were all pretty, not scrumbly at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well , you could have commented and given me the gears!

      Delete
  12. Lol. Good one red! You have the work out there so you never know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who said, "Sometimes words don't describe it.?"

      Delete
  13. I'm enjoying these bits of history from your teaching career.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that it's always on your mind. I'm sure you have the same experience to some extent.

      Delete
  14. Still freeform, Red. Not conforming. Improv!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All three things you mention were fun.

      Delete
  15. I've read a couple of his books, but something about his general style doesn't work for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's another similar writer...Gavin Menzies.

      Delete
  16. I really enjoyed the idea of what you did with the exam paper. Now you've created the word 'scrumbly' I'm making it my job to find a meaning for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was also thinking about it's forms and how it fit in with grammar!!!

      Delete
  17. I think 'scrumbly' should be added to the dictionary ;) Fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I thought "scrumbly" sounded like a word relating to food and I also thought I should look it up but in the end I was too lazy :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. As Lewis Carroll once said:
    "’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like your new word, it should be in the dictionary.
    Take care, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i was bit puzzled at first when saw the title of this post ,very first thought came into mind with which i can so relate lol and it was forgetfulness that occurs to me often due to hurry but post explained everything nicely :)
    as a teacher you have confidence to invent words on other hand i think every word that we invent must have some meaning if not exact shape of existence because our brain takes raw material that is available already in our data :)

    ReplyDelete