Tuesday, November 9, 2021

SO MANY QUESTIONS

           which part of your life surprises you the most, and why ?

          I suppose what surprised me most is that I actually took the plunge and went north. I thought I was just on a fun adventure but it turned out to have some very substantial influences on the remainder of my life.  I suppose part of the change involved maturing. I was 23 when I went north. 

        Now, at that time   in my life I had another option. If I hadn't gone north, there was a good chance that I would have blundered back to the farm. That would have been a poor choice.


  • if you could change one thing about your life, what would it be, and why would you want to change it

           Well, come on. You want to limit me to one thing? I don't think so.  

        I don't think there's really anything that I would like to change. You always look at what might have been. You say well, I was interested in forest or wildlife work but that was unrealistic. 

        I would really like to have travelled much more after I retired. We did okay for a couple of years after retirement but then that was it.  Travelling opens up the whole world. The things you learn while travelling fit in with your life experiences and make them more meaningful.

       I would like to have stayed with education after retirement and supervised student teachers. I had the opportunity but I wanted to get away from education and be with other people. That was the right decision. 

  • when was the happiest time in your life, and what made it so great?

      My happiest time is when I had little kids. Little kids are extremely unpredictable and love you with all your faults. Kids made Christmas and trips  happy events. Remember the trip to Disneyland? Remember good times at the lake. Those times wouldn't have been nearly as happy if kids weren't involved. There are many family stories that wouldn't be there without kids. And yes, I've said it before , I was sad to see you guys leave!



  • when was the saddest or worst time in your life, and what made it so?

              The saddest time in my life is when I left home and went to teachers' college, I was intensely homesick. I was not ready in any sense to leave home. I had not been given an opportunity to be independent and make my own decisions. I wanted to go back home every minute of the day. I could not study and didn't know the ropes on how to study.. I had gone to a one teacher high school with less than 25 kids. In teachers' College there were 400 students in a very large building. I found it difficult to get to know people  I persevered and kept at it and gradually   things got better. 

      So "endeth" the questions on my life. I'm sure there are more. The questions made me reflect on various events in my life. Many memories were brought back. I was surprised by the comments from readers and how interested you were with the interaction between father and daughter. 

39 comments:

  1. Good answers, Red.

    If I could change something about myself, it would be to go back and tell my thirteen year old self that keeping in all the negative things that needed to be said because I thought it was the right course of action..... just wasn't the right course of action, and not worth what it did to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look at things I did when I was thirteen and they weren't very smart because thirteen year olds aren't smart.

      Delete
  2. It is all very interesting Red! I cannot see you as a farmer:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Farming would have been a huge mistake for me.

      Delete
  3. I think you made many very wise decisions because they all made you the man you are today! My happiest time was also when I had my children at home. I've enjoyed this series Red, and I thank you and your daughter for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There wee times when raising children was stressful but overall I would never miss it.

      Delete
  4. Really, Red, all children should grow up with parents who see them as the best thing that ever happened to them. What a wonderful thing for children to know about themselves - that they are a gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a teacher I saw far too many kids who were accidents and not really wanted.

      Delete
  5. This must be great for your kids to read! Your loyal fans, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's important that family knows your past. I woke up too late to ask my dad questions.

      Delete
  6. I love that you answered all these questions, Red. It really is so interesting to take a good long look at life and choices. Thank you for sharing this here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She asked some very challenging questions. she knew the answers to some of these.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for all the answers. Glad you enjoyed having us as little kids. I'm sure we had some cute/fun moments. For sure things like the trip to Disney and summers at the lake were memorable in good ways for me. I can't see you as a farmer, but I could see you enjoying other outdoor-related careers. Very sad you didn't travel more in retirement; that is top of my list for when I'm done my working days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You asked some challenging questions. There is usually more than one way to answer. IT'S NOT ALWAYS BLACK AND WHITE.

      Delete
  8. I have enjoyed all of your questions and answers posts, Red. Made me look back at my own life too! It is good that you don't have many big regrets and that you enjoyed your children so much! My kids were my best thing too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter can ask some pretty serious questions and it made me think about answers.

      Delete
  9. That time raising kids is busy but pretty special alright.

    We travelled for a bit after retirement too. However travelling has lost its appeal now.we want to be home most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These questions and answers have been interesting. Thanks, Red, for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They made me thing very hard but it was fun.

      Delete
  11. Some great achievements, Red and memories too. Your kids must be very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there were days when it was touchy but it's like that for everybody.

      Delete
  12. Kids make all the difference in enjoying holidays. My favorite memories as a kid are us all being together, playing games and laughing together. Loved hearing your answers to these questions, Red. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes our family Christmas on the farm was the greatest. We always had lots of cousins for Christmas and we were all boys.

      Delete
  13. I grew up in a small farming community and did not get a super education and felt the same as you when I went to college. The kids knew so much more than I!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was homesick when I first went away from home to study. It is hard to let our own kids move away from home too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not prepared to be homesick so it was a shock.

      Delete
  15. I like that your daughter asked these questions and wanted to know. I wish my daughter would but right now she is too busy with kids of her own. Hopefully a time will come.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I gave my daughter a big shove for these questions. When I thought of things to ask my dad it was too late.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello,
    Great questions and answers! You have happy memories, looking back at your life. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have wishes too, like you, the wish to have travelled. But I don't have regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I enjoyed reading your answers to these questions and thinking about how I would answer. Such a sweet snapshot of your children when they were little.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thoroughly enjoyed reading this post. So many forks in the road. Enjoyed the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I enjoyed reading your life reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really enjoyed this post from the heart, Red. They are wonderful questions that show a lot of who you are. Seems to me you are content and that's the most important thing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I hope you don't mind, but I'd love to use some of these questions on my blog one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Interesting questions and answers. I would agonize over them too much. The reflections and memories are great brain exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i am thankful to your daughter as because of her questions i could learn more about you which i wanted to since i visited you first time .

    i think change specially the huge one that turn our life to great extent bring greater pleasure though later and add more meaning to life .

    i speaking through my own observations and experiences ,our true inner intentions lead us where we deserve to reach eventually .

    ReplyDelete