Saturday, April 30, 2022

GOOD BIRDING THIS MORNING

       We had an excellent bird walk this morning. It was plus 12 C, calm and partly cloudy. 

     We went to a place called Heritage Ranch which was set aside for parkland and developed in the 1970's . Part of it was farmed and used to raise cattle. A large part of it was taken for gravel pits. Trees shrubs and grass have come back to these areas and it makes for some good birding habitat. 

     We had 16 spotters of various ages, shapes and sizes.


 We saw 22 species. More of the spring migrants are starting to show up. 

Protocol: Traveling5.416 kilometer(s)Checklist Comments:     RDRN Bird Focus Group outing22 speciesCanada Goose (Branta canadensis)  5Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)  10Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula)  1Common Merganser (Mergus merganser)  2Franklin's Gull (Leucophaeus pipixcan)  5Osprey (Pandion haliaetus)  2Belted Kingfisher (Megaceryle alcyon)  1Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens)  2Hairy Woodpecker (Dryobates villosus)  1American Kestrel (Falco sparverius)  1Merlin (Falco columbarius)  1Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus)  2American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)  4Common Raven (Corvus corax)  1Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)  55Boreal Chickadee (Poecile hudsonicus)  3Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Corthylio calendula)  1Red-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta canadensis)  2American Robin (Turdus migratorius)  4Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis)  1Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  2Yellow-rumped Warbler (Setophaga coronata)  4View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S108501732This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

     Now I am not a bird photographer. I may be able to give some links tomorrow for photos. 

     But to show you my lack of skill here are my two bird shots. Nuff said!



 

43 comments:

  1. Interesting that crows, robins and warblers were the most frequently sighted birds. Thanks for taking me along with the tour group, Red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few days ago we would not have seen a warbler.

      Delete
  2. What a great sighting of birds. Some I’ve never seen. Productive outing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed seeing many of these as I don't see much color.

      Delete
  3. I can rarely identify the birds I see so I am impressed with the number of birds your group was able to identify! The birds usually move too quickly to see their distinguishing features and I could never get a photo as I am not quick enough. Well done, Red!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some very excellent birders in this group. Apps on phones are used now instead of bird books.

      Delete
  4. 22 species? That is amazing. I can tell you all I saw today were mynahs, doves, bulbuls, finches, pigeons and chickens. Mostly they were pigeons which we don't love because they poop on our solar panels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well one has to go out to an area of good habitat and then have friends who can identify birds.

      Delete
  5. That's quite a selection of birds for one morning! It looks like you had a nice size group of birders too. I'm so glad you are all able to get together and do this again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had 16 birders. there's lots of good habitat in this area,

      Delete
  6. What a cool list! I didn't know birders got together to do their counting. I thought individuals hid in bushes to count birdies. Cheers, Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is not the spring bird count. Even the spring bird count can have as many people in a groups as you want. With technology today our bird sightings and numbers are sent to a web site and used for research purposes.

      Delete
  7. Franklin's Gull and Boreal Chickadee are the two that I could not have seen here, and I suspect that your Yellow-rumped Warblers were audubonii. Great that you had a good walk with like-minded companions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We go every Sat morning for 2 hours. It's all quite local and only occasionally go out of town.

      Delete
  8. Hello Red,
    Great outing and sightings. I would like to see the Boreal Chickadee.
    Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boreal chickadees are here but we don't see many.

      Delete
  9. That is quite a list of bird sightings there. What a great day you and your fellow bird watchers had. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could also make a list of what we missed or could have seen.

      Delete
  10. That is a great adventure! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We go out every Sat. from 10 to 12.

      Delete
  11. What wonderful bird sightings! Some of my favorite song birds and ducks, and quite a list of raptors too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sparrows and warblers are just arriving.

      Delete
  12. You had a wonderful outing with lots of sightings. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some good sightings there. I'm laughing at your bird photos! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know that spring is truly springing when I read the third post mentioning birds this morning. I mean fourth Yours is the fourth.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, some really good sightings! A wonderful time spent with friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very supportive group and a good emphasis on learning.

      Delete
  16. Nice list of birds you spotted!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm hearing more and more birdsong in the morning. Today it was through the rain, and more rain forecast for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A "hairy woodpecker"? I thought birds had feathers - not hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I guy learns something new every day!!!

      Delete
    2. Wait until he hears about a wood duck. Or a horned owl.

      Delete
  19. What a great way to get out for the morning, with good company! I'd be useless at birding because I can't see well at a distance, but I'd still enjoy the walk :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. A nice bit of exercise with folks who share a common interest. And the temperature was not bad for the walk!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A walk in nice weather is unbeatable, unless you also see some interesting wild things :)

    ReplyDelete