Sunday, October 16, 2022

AN EMBARRASSING MOMENT.

        Last June a new Peavey Mart store opened here. There was a lot of promotion for the opening. For those not familiar with Peavey Mart it caters to farm products. However, it does have things that are more than farm related such as supplies for bird feeding. They also have  excellent gardening supplies.

       Well, for the opening, the first so many people were given  $20.00 cash coupons. So guess who was there early enough for $20.00? That day the Micro Manager bought a broom and I bought some bird fat with our $20.00 coupons. 

       So five months later a flier came out advertising a couple of things we wanted. A bag of bird seed for $27.00. I could use my cash coupon! 

      So the birdseed I wanted was not on display. A kid went to the back and finally came out with a bag of bird seed. At this time we thought our coupons were for $40.00 each. However , we checked and couldn't think why there was so little left on the cards. The micro manager also wanted a snow shovel. Sadly we  discovered that the coupons were worth $20.. each rather than $40.00 each. 

      So with less than half our money left we had to decide what we really needed. We were discussing this just before the check out line. We were talking about small amounts of money. All of a sudden a kind lady approached and said I'll buy that for you! We were astounded. She had obviously overheard us and thought that we were poor and had very little money. 

     So we were embarrassed that we were identified as needy. 

     I guess the moral of the story is to do your discussion away from the check out line. 

     Have you had an embarrassing situation where you were taken as needing help?

35 comments:

  1. Hello
    The store sounds nice, the coupons are a bonus. The cost of bird seed is crazy here. Take care, have a great day and happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I do have enough birdseed till almost spring.

      Delete
  2. I seem to have missed something. At the beginning you mentioned $20 cash coupons. So, later, what made you think they were worth $40?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old people's memories are poor. we just forgot what the coupons were worth,.

      Delete
  3. No. That has never happened to me. Just say the word and Shirley and I will send you and Lady Kline a food parcel in time for Christmas. I also have some old socks you can have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be absolutely awesome to get some donations!!!

      Delete
  4. Gosh! That was a kind thing to do. I've done that at cash registers, as someone struggles to find some change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. It was kind . She looked disappointed when we refused her offer.

      Delete
  6. That was so nice of that woman, even if you didn't really need it. I smiled to think of how it must have felt, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that she felt happy that she had tried to help. She just picked the wrong people.

      Delete
  7. Well, all embarrassment aside, it was very kind of that woman to offer to help you out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was generous and I will remember her.

      Delete
  8. That is funny but also heart warming that someone was willing to step forward to help you in your time of "need".

    I can't think of someone who thought I needed help but in general, I'm quick to ask for help or to help others I think need it. I'm always impressed by the generosity of people. Case in point that occurred just the other day. I stand in front of one of the stores in town to hand out candy and collect money for children with intellectual disabilities once a year along with others. I am always amazed at how generous some people are when they appear to not have two nickels to their name judging by their appearance and the vehicles they drive to the store in. Yet more often than not, the person who drives up in a Cadillac and designer clothes will likely not contribute a dime. Not always but enough to make me notice and strive to be better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that many of the not so well off are very generous.

      Delete
  9. That really was so very kind of the woman to offer to pay for your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She might have thought you were just frugal and wanted to bless you with a surprise. Don't worry, she went home feeling very good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Magnon's Meanderings blog had a similar story yesterday in his post! It is nice that there are still generous, kind people in this world that are ready to help if needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are kind and generous people but they rarely make the press.

      Delete
  12. What a very nice gesture. It's good to know there are still people like this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, you gave someone the opportunity to be kind. I will bet that it made her day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other people commented how this person would feel after making such and offer.

      Delete
  14. Some people are just generous! Someone paid for my Moms groceries one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, no, I have not been mistaken for being needy, but sometimes in need of needing help.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How nice of her! There ARE nice folks everywhere. It’s the loud nasty ones that usually make print. That was also nice of your farm supply store. Bet they made some loyal customers with their give$away.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We're not needy and haven't been mistaken as such BUT we LOVE our coupons and good deals. Granted, if anyone saw Art hunting for lost coins on roadways when he jogs or we walk, they might think so. It's really wonderful to know there are people who will step in to help if anyone looks like they need it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wait... Someone did offer us a coupon they had at Burger King a long time ago. :-) That was awfully kind of him.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I try to hide my poverty. 😇

    ReplyDelete
  20. Someone bought my dads groceries recently. Dad is not poor but he often looks shabby and there is a whole class of people who think old people are "cute" so they like to buy them stuff

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Red, I had the same thing happen to me. I was in a Family Dollar store admiring a small throw rug. I must have looked awfully pitiful when I put the rug back and decided not to get it. This lady bought it for me and insisted I take it. Made me feel terrible even though I appreciated her kindness. I felt so embarrassed.

    ReplyDelete
  22. it happened to me when i lost my hand purse in the hospital ,i was younger than , i felt so embarrassing to ask for money for returning my home .a lady who i doubt took my bag did that for me

    ReplyDelete