Thursday, October 27, 2022

MY TV DILEMMA

         I recently spent a week sorting out a TV problem that wasn't mine. 

          The Micro Manager and I were downstairs trying to find out what was wrong with our phone. All of a sudden we noticed that the TV went off.

          We phoned our provider but the phone was upstairs and the TV downstairs. So for a while we went upstairs and downstairs doing what the tech on the phone was telling us. Well after an hour we gave up. We had 4 more of these advice sessions. By this time we had the phone fixed in the basement.  All the techs told us the same thing and they were wrong. They thought we had a certain system but we didn't.

        So we started shopping for a TV. Now our TV is from 2005 so things are a little different now. So we finally bought a nice TV and brought it home to set up. We made arrangements for a tech to come and hook up the new TV.

       First , the tech had to look at our old TV to see if it was really dead. In 15 seconds the tech who came to the house had the old TV back to life. So much for all the clowns we wasted our time with . 

      Then we had to repack the new TV and return it to the store. 

       So we spent 7 days puzzling our brains when we didn't have to. If the clowns giving us advice on the phone knew what they were talking about we would have had none of the problems. 

      

29 comments:

  1. That's poopy! Might be worth having those tech guys from Best Buy on retainer to come out and calm frazzled nerves when needed. I miss the olden days. I only have internet on my computer. My TV is connected to one of those $30 flat, square, "stick it in your window" kind of antennas. I get enough channels to keep me happy, with no monthly fee. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can't get TV with those antennaes. So they gave us a dish.

      Delete
  2. In all the long time I have been visiting "Hiawatha House", this is the angriest I have known you Red. Take a chill pill mister! After all, it's not fair on the clowns. They should be entertaining children at circuses - not giving technical advice over the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate learning new technology. I also hate talking to technicians on the phone. I spent hours on the phone once trying to sort out an internet problem. It was a major problem that affected more than me, and really, I got so tired of the false assurances that 'everything was fixed now'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    I am glad the problems with your phone and TV have been resolved. Take care, enjoy your day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pain in the butt! I'm so sorry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, many people have to go through these pain in the butts. we're all in this together.

      Delete
  6. I hate those phone “solutions.” Total frustration is all I experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have a script to follow and if it's anything different it isn't going to happen.

      Delete
  7. Sigh. It happens to me, too, that the "technician" doesn't know what he's talking about! Glad you got it all sorted out in the end, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally a real live technician came and he could see the situation and press the buttons. He was also a former student.

      Delete
  8. The modern world these days is full of confusion, bad advice, and techs who work remotely and don't know what they're talking about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the phone techs have a script to follow and if it's anything else they're done.

      Delete
  9. Oh, THAT's annoying! But I'm glad you're getting some more life out of your old TV!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Unfortunately there are clowns everywhere these days. Glad you go the old tv set sorted and now its working.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you were able to learn from a person that your old TV was still working and wonder if he was able to sort out the issue. This way, if it happens again, you won't have to waste time with unhelpful phone calls and not have to buy and return something. Sometimes, tech help is less than helpful as you have shown here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This tech was a former student and he gave me his personal phone number.

      Delete
  12. Technology assistance over the phone os very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everybody has been through it. It's not fun.

      Delete
  13. You've had more than your fair share of bad luck lately. Hope things get better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh goodness! That is just awful! We thought our TV was on the blink too making weird noises. (And I too was thinking we needed a new TV.) But this past summer our techie son-in-law was here and between he and Art they somehow fixed it all. I still don't know what they did, but it's working now without the static.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would have kept the new tv and come up to date with technology.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah. I agree with Rachel. What a pain it would be if the old one were to give up the ghost tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Send of course the phone consultation would be interspersed with being on hold and "your call is important to us. Please stay on the line...."

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh my you need teen age neighbor kids!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So glad your old TV is ok, very frustrating situation for you.

    ReplyDelete