Monday, December 12, 2022

SOME MUSIC FOR YOU

       I like listening to music. I don't play any instruments and I can't sing. But I love listening  music.

      I listen to  wide variety of music. When I used to take CD's out of the library one of the librarians said I had an eclectic taste. I like most music and dislike very few kinds of music. I don't get rap or the heavy metal stuff. There's very little country and western that I listen to.

      Now with You Tube we are able to listen to a wide range of music. 

      A while back I told you about an orchestra that I had recently discovered and recommended that you give it a listen. I was looking for some orchestras from a long time ago. I wanted to listen to James Last, Bert Kaempfert, or a Mantovani. All of a sudden Strato Vani jumped out from You Tube. I'm sure that there are many more modern day orchestras. It's just that I haven't found them. 

      Somehow Austrian folk music popped out of You Tube. I started listening to it and before you know it I was hooked. It consists of tuba, trombone, saxophone , accordian , some guitar and a few other interesting combinations. For most of it there are vocals and you hear some great singing. Again these people are amateurs

      After a while the Austrian music looked different. Then I found out that You Tube had decided I should listen to white African folk music. It's an interesting combination of guitars, the odd banjo and accordion. Then there was one instrument that I was not familiar with ...the concertina. There are little to no vocals with this music. Some of it is the standard lead guitar, rhythm guitar and percussion.There are some very good musicians. Very little of it is professional and seems like local gatherings of musicians to play for fun. 

    So who knows what I'll run into on You Tube in the next little while. 

    I'm sure some of you will have suggestions for me.

       

33 comments:

  1. Try Appalachian music...Guy Wolff is a good potter and musician..banjo and guitar...once you find that, you will get more suggestions!! I wish that John Baumann, also once a potter could still pot and play. He is now a postman...but he still writes beautifully.
    He doesn't write his blog now, but I am sure you can find it..and if you are on the dreaded farcebook he writes on there too. Quite a philosopher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a look at Guy Wolff..potter, motorbiker and banjo and guitar player. Maybe look at Appalachian music? Or John Baumann...once a potter and musician, always a philosopher. Now a postman, but still writing on the dreaded farcebook. His blog is still out there to read....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So my comment didn't disappear into the ether!!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing the music and links! Take care, have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am one of those odd ducks who doesn’t really listen to music but hums and whistles a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YouTube is a wonder.

    Country music is my husband’s favourite and it’s always on in the car. So many references to drinking in those. We’ve made a game of listening for the drinking lyrics in any new to us song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like old country music but not the modern stuff.

      Delete
  6. I don't listen to much music on its own. Right now, for the past few days, "Silver Bells" has been going on in my head! An earworm for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably lots of Christmas tunes will end up being and earworm..

      Delete
  7. I've always been a lover of rock and roll music. So I still listen to the current music on the radio in my car. Back in the day, I was a screaming fan for the Beatles! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so much rock these days that you can't avoid it. I was saddened to hear of McVie's death from Fleetwood Mac

      Delete
  8. I like all kinds of music too. Lately I've been listening to classical music as I read. It's very relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At times I listen to a lot of classical music.

      Delete
  9. Here try this Red.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwWmcMz0ZVk

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have eclectic tastes, as well. I haven't been able to listen to much music lately. It brings back sad memories!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's a music group called Post Modern Jukebox that takes contemporary music and reworks them into a jazz or swing style, often surpassing the original. I found them through YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the music links. I haven't listened yet, but will. I love finding new music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of drift along in the music world.

      Delete
  13. That anonymous comment is from NewRobin13.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love African music. I, too, heard recently of a couple of instruments that are difficult to play but that are making their way into mainstream music outside of Africa. Ladysmith Black Mambazo is one of my favorite groups.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wonder if you enjoy classical? You didn’t say you don’t so I’m going to make a suggestion. This is on YouTube and suitable for the holiday season. The name is: New York Philharmonic New Year’s Eve Broadcast: Bernstein on Broadway. If you like it, do let me know. Have a great rest of the week.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txGKaunnK7Q

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do listen to classical music and have tapes and CDs. Wwe have a small symphony orchestra here and when I volunteered at the Arts Center I heard all their concerts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's all Christmas music in our house right now - all kinds of Christmas music.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You might like Klezmer music. Just google it - I recommend the Klezmatics and check out Itzhak Perlman.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love bluegrass music. Alison Krause is a favorite. I also love Celtic music.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have always been a fan of opera and other classical music, but then I enjoy a variety of other music too, maybe not more of the modern kind though.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love music and so does mom, but Art is somehow not very interested in it so I listen when I'm alone and think of it. I like Jason Mraz... maybe because his songs are upbeat generally.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow that is quite a gift!
    Thank you so much for such lovely music. I share your taste of music I think loved all but second one was so fulfilling

    ReplyDelete