Tuesday, February 21, 2023

WHY DO SOME OPPOSITES ATTRACT OPPOSITES?

     I'm sure that reading between the lines on this blog you can tell that the Micro Manager and I are quite opposite. With the posts on downsizing it's very obvious that we are opposites. One reader left a comment in jest  that "a war was developing between Red the Declutterer and Jean the Hoarder". One of us was very busy finding things to "decorate" the house. There are enough "things" to decorate a few houses. I know that she had a great time collecting items and displaying them . She bought very few things in a store. I sometimes ask her "Where did you get that thing?"  She always knows. Many things were picked up on garage sales or were given. The mother in law gave us many paintings. There are probably 20 of these creations in the house. The Micro Manager liked paint by number. She also liked the needle work patterns. She also took a ceramics course and produced quite a few creations to hang in a wall. 

     Then I also noticed a pattern in a few comments where it was obvious the spouses were in opposite corners of he downsizing issue. It was interesting that many different compromises were made. And then thee are the people who know they should be downsizing but just can't get started. 

     The room with thirteen things on the wall is now down to two. 

     When I went out with the Micro Manager I recognized that she was opposite to me in quite a few areas. I thought it would complement our relationship . However , when it comes to down sizing we've spent quite a bit of time discussing. However, I don't think that Mr. Pudding is right that we are in any kind of war. A siege maybe, but not a fight. 

    the bear painting is from the Mother in Law
The hands are from the ceramics course
The swans are from a paint by number kit.

37 comments:

  1. Just a healthy discussion on differences in opinions :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every relationship has the person who collects more and the person who collects less but eventually all the collected goods have to be rehomed or disposed of.
    I hope the conflict doesn't escalate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry. There may be differences of opinion but things work out.

      Delete
  3. Hello,
    I like the bear and swan paintings. My hubby and I are somewhat opposites. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The MIL did the bear and the swan was a paint by number.

      Delete
  4. Sue isn’t so much a hoarder but has trouble parting with things. She wants to find a use for anything and everything, not necessarily for us but for someone, anyone, somewhere, anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some there is a use for everything. I have little interest in material things.

      Delete
  5. I like those three saved displays. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad , but the end of the line is coming for many of these treasures,

      Delete
  6. I understand 'opposites'. It is why I have a nickel plated grill for a Model A truck in my spare bedroom. Side note: we have not, nor have we ever owned a Model A truck. Tim thinks the grill is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a 1929 model A sedan. My brother and I paid $45.00 for it. I wish we'd kept it.

      Delete
  7. I've just donated a large bag of clothes and books to raise money for a children's hospital - it's a start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to regularly part with treasures. A move helps to get rid of some things.

      Delete
  8. Amusing post, Red! Obviously you two have figured out how to compromise and get along as you have been together quite a while! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I think about downsizing I mostly concentrate on boxes of stuff that have been gathering dust in the garage for years. I think about all the old clothes I need to get rid of. When I look at the art on our walls and truly treasured keepsakes I think the kids and grandkids might want that stuff. I guess it's a struggle between what's treasure and what's trash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids live away from here and want very little. They are 51 and 53 so have enough of their own stuff.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. A lot of paint by number stuff was pretty good.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Everybody has their own definition of discussion.

      Delete
  12. You're doing great. I had a hard time downsizing but as time moved forward I forget most of what I had. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a good point that once it's gone it's seldom missed.

      Delete
  13. Hmmm. One woman's treasure is another woman's junk, I guess. Good luck on your continuing project. "Discussion" is good,

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have a very practical approach to handling the "opposites attract" situation. Kudos to you both. My husband was like me, a keeper of certain things. But our interests were different. So he could have decluttered for me, and I could have decluttered for him, in no time flat! Now that it's just me, I've had a hard time getting rid of some things of his that I would have easily sent off before he died. Slowly, slowly, I'm getting rid of stuff from both of our "collections".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting rid of someone else's stuff would be difficult.

      Delete
  15. Things are going here, slowly but steadily. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a process that can't be rushed unless you have to move in a hurry.

      Delete
  16. I like the bear and, in spite of the religious bent, the hands.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Red, You are really on a roll with interesting posts, and I don’t recall you posting so frequently. Keep up the good work. By the way, my MM and I have been together for 52 years, so I have to give you thumbs up for 59! Years ago you told us you enjoyed listening to the radio. I wonder if you still do that or have you changed over to YouTube or internet radio? John

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yup. Art and I are opposites in sooo many ways. And yes, he's the saver. He just hates getting rid of things. I have a friend who quietly tosses things when her husband isn't looking. I can't do that. But I'm slowly, slowly convincing him to let me donate some things or toss them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, and I like the bear picture too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is so difficult for me to downsize.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just two people negotiating! Deciding what to remove from a home is a process that takes time. And it can be difficult because memories are stirred up.

    ReplyDelete