Saturday, April 15, 2023

IT DEPENDS HOW YOU LOOK AT IT

      The last post with the plumber leaving his money on the table was  a  funny situation  in my mind. Okay, I'm not bragging about my humor. 

     However, some readers saw some great problems with the situation as I told it. I never thought that some people would see some very serious problems arise out of that situation.

     Maybe I should have said that the plumber gave me an invoice that said "Paid in full". Maybe I should have said that there was a GST number on the invoice. These were issues that I did not have concerns about in the post. It was humorous that the hard working guy left his money on the table. His fees were high, but he could have billed us for more.

    One thing was different was that all transactions were by phone. He printed the invoice and sent it to me by email as he was standing there. If I had a phone, I would have had the invoice paid in full in my hand as he was taking his money. 

     Then I started to think that there are situations where people are at risk in any situation where an unfair advantage can be taken. I never thought that some people could take advantage of this situation by having an opportunity to lie. It's sad that some people have to live with and deal with scumbags that would take advantage of you and cheat you. 

    Here, there are acceptable methods of doing business. Most of us follow the rules. It works well for all concerned. 

32 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I missed your plumber post, now you have piqued my interest and I will go and read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That'll teach ya to miss one of my posts. By the way, thanks for visiting Hiawatha house.

      Delete
  2. It certainly worked well, especially as you were pleased with the job he did on your plumbing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't see a problem. I'm probably naive but I trust most people and I usually don't regret it.
    It's good to have everything ship shape, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you show confidence in yourself and show people that you trust them things will work out.

      Delete
  4. I guess I wouldn't have been too worried in this situation as long as I saw the new sink and faucet in place. It is not like they are easily returned or can be returned. Where I pay attention are the things that are likely to go bad after the person as left.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you cleared that up. A reminder that we shouldn't jump to conclusions until we have all the information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have to look at the angles before and after we finish.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Sometimes delivery people are not the best.

      Delete
  7. I could see no issue bc it is something that I would do.

    I once had a blog friend whose husband left a bag with 1000s of dollars on the car, and he drove off. They did go back and found it. The large amount of cash had something to do with part of a house transaction IIRC, but I can’t remember the details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How much stuff has fallen off car roofs? You see it all the time.

      Delete
  8. I agree totally with what you say Red. Sadly there will always be some who don't follow the rules - c'est la vie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! You speak French too. I'm impressed.

      Delete
  9. Interesting. Evil intent never occurred to me in reading that post. I guess with all of the scams we are faced with now, I could see why people might think that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we do have to be careful. I had looked at references for this guy and they were all good.

      Delete
  10. It's so different the way they can send us bills now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Most people you can trust but there are a few that are not honorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the dishonorable , we just have to be alert.

      Delete
  12. I guess I trust people too much. I didn’t see any problem with what transpired other than it was unusual to see someone leave the money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a case of trusting too much. Most of us are very honorable people and we see the value of that.

      Delete
  13. I too didn't see anything wrong with the story as you told it. I'm glad you have a receipt and he has his money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had checked references on the guy and they were good.

      Delete
  14. I went back and read the post. I didn't see any problem with your story. Probably scared the man when he realized he forgot his money. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he was a little stressed. I think we have a pretty good idea of who we can trust.

      Delete
  15. I believed the fellow would catch up with his money eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  16. To be honest, I've never had a tradesman work for us that insisted he be paid in cash.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have to agree with Henny Penny’s comment. I didn’t think there was any malice involved. Another interesting story, Red.

    ReplyDelete