Tuesday, June 13, 2023

FOOD RATIONS

      I did a post about 10 days ago about learning to grocery shop. I remarked about northern rations and a few people asked questions and that got me thinking about government food rations. 

     My time in the Arctic started in 1963. At that time it was a different world. Settlements were hundreds of miles apart. The only business in the small settlements was the trader. The trader took skins and the aboriginals got guns, bullets, knives and traps. The trading post was not heated. The only food they carried was flour, baking powder, tea and sugar. 

     So if the government was going to send in a teacher or other employee, to such a settlement they had to supply food. So this is why I was given a big pile of food. We laughed and joked about our rations and how pathetic they were. Someone who had never been in the north probably made them up. The rations were also constricted by storage facilities. We had a little three burner electric stove and a tiny little refrigerator. The suites were complete with dishes , pots , pans and cutlery. 

     So what did we get in the 1000 lb of food? There were many things we had not seen before. There was no fresh food. There was 2 hundred pounds of flour as they expected us to make our own bread. Ha, ha if your a 23 year old male who'd never cooked before . Most of the women at that time had not made bread either. There were many stories about the messes of bread making. 

    We had  tinned potatoes and powdered potatoes both equally gross. We had powdered milk that we couldn't mix so lots of lumps in your cornflakes. There was lots of canned milk. There was lots of macaroni, spaghetti and rice. There was lots of canned vegetables and fruit. Meat you ask? The meat was all canned. Try canned bacon or sausages. They were terrible. So there was klik and spam and canned ham. 

    There were lots of cookies, jello, and puddings. I forgot cake mixes!

     Then there were such things as jam, butter(tinned of course) tea, coffee, sugar, salt and a few spices.

    So for this 23 year old kid, the cases  of soup that were to last for a year were gone by November. Next the beans ran out!

    I didn't learn how to make bread but I did learn how to make pancakes.

    We had most things in the rations but they were a bit different so we had to learn a few things to make proper use of the food. 

     We did have a small grocery store but the prices were outrageous. Families didn't buy  things at the store. I bought bread and I don't remember what it cost. Bananas were a dollar. 

    When I look back it this it was a balanced diet but many of the things were difficult to work with and didn't fit in with standard recipes. 

    I lived in a 32 suit single staff. We traded much food and quite often ate together. Girls cooked and received what ever they wanted out of our rations. 

     They wee great days and I often think back to the good old northern food rations. 

      

33 comments:

  1. Oh I like spam! I will have to look up klik. How about powdered eggs...I bet you had those too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there was lots of powdered egg and I made scrambled eggs with the dried onion.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you were given a lot of rations and also a lot of variety though I know it would have been difficult for many to know what to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The major challenge was to be able to use the food evenly so that you didn't run out of some things that would limit what you could cook.

      Delete
  3. How horrid! Sounds like a step above POW gruel. Bet you stay away from any of that now. Glad you survived it! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We complained that they were probably rations left over from the war.

      Delete
  4. It is amazing you can look back at the food rationing times as great days. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could you trade some of your rations to the local people for food you wanted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The locals didn't get rations as they were not government employees.

      Delete
  6. Klik, spam - my husband used to call it and/or meat 'cause it was made of beef and/or pork and/or chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ingredients were probably not good but it was spiced and fatty.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a time of interesting creative cooking back then. We really do learn how to make do with what we've got in the pantry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went up expecting to live in the hostel but they surprised me with a suite. If I'd known, I might have consulted with my Mom a bit.

      Delete
  8. Sounds a reasonable diet really Red. Certainly a rude awakening but you have survived and learned a lot on the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a balanced diet and we should not have been complaining so much.

      Delete
  9. Youthful adventures! The good old days for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Young males were particularly adventurous.

      Delete
  10. Creativity, you had to have some to make it all work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My creativity was limited so I often ate some bad stuff.

      Delete
  11. Well, Red, I am not impressed that you depended on the girls to make the bread. Making bread is science!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did a lot of cooperating with food and outdoors stuff.

      Delete
  12. This was making a go of it. Making lemon aid from lemons. You were young and up for adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole thing was an adventure and fortunately we learned a thing or two along the way.

      Delete
  13. I can imagine what rations remained at the end of the school year would have been pretty pitiful. Prices have only gotten worse since then.
    My first full-time job after highschool was in a small community north of LaRonge. I did most of my shopping in LaRonge, which was an hour drive away during the warmer months. But in September I'd visit my parents, further south, and stock up on canned goods and meat. The meat would be frozen in mom's freezer, then loaded into a cooler for the 4 hour drive north. Storage was definitely an issue, though I did have my own place. I recall storing cartons of canned goods under my bed!
    Like your experience, there were a number of single young men working there, and just a couple of women like myself. I would make "pot-luck" dinners on Sunday - which meant I made it in a pot and they were lucky to get it.
    Still, I'm sure you wouldn't trade those experiences, nor would I. It was a special time and helped develop who we are today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right I wouldn't trade. You remind me that the people leaving had left overs that the vultures could pick over. I gave my flour to one of the wives.

      Delete
  14. It all sounds a little bit grim. I expected there would be some things you'd use before the end of the year. So, it was soup

    ReplyDelete
  15. After the soup was gone I had to smarten up a bit as I could see what would happen in the furture.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My early life was similar to yours as we lived on a small island with sporadic electricity and only things like tapioca and taro root being sold and no real grocery until years later. It was good for us.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm curious what Klik is. From one of your other (wiser) commenters I think it's some kind of canned meat, like Spam. But I've never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete