Tuesday, September 19, 2023

A HELICOPTER RIDE

      A former student told a few days ago of her 10 or so years working for Stars air Ambulance in the promotion department. She had an official looking photo of herself in a helicopter with the helmet and all. 

      This reminded me of my helicopter rides in the Arctic. The ice breakers would come in and do a medical check on all aboriginals. This is where the dreaded tuberculosis was picked up and people were taken south for treatment. Most people were taken to the ice breaker on the tender. However some where taken by helicopter...me included. 

      One summer an ice breaker was doing sounding at the end of Wakeham bay. They were preparing for shipping ore from one of the mines about 50 km inland. 

      One day the helicopter came over with a message from the captain. He was inviting us for dinner. Well, yes we'll come for dinner. The helicopter came back to pick us up at the appointed time and take us to the ship.

      Well the 10 minute ride was pleasant but The ship looked awfully small from 10 miles away. When we got closer we could see the circles the helicopter was to land in. The circles were very, very small. So all of a sudden down we go and guess what? We landed exactly in the circle. 

     We had a nice dinner with the captain and then the helicopter took us back to our house. 

    Returning to Wakeham Bay after dinner on the D'Iberville. You can see how small the village was and yes, that's snow on the hills behind the village in July. It's snow left over from the winter. 


Landing pad on the D'Iberville. 

34 comments:

  1. That's a pretty tight landing pad. What did the captain serve for dinner? Fish? Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had not had fresh food for a year and the captain had fresh produce so we enjoyed the salad. We had lots of fresh fish.

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear you hit the bullseye! It could have been damp otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually these landing pads are usual, just not on a ship.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I've enjoyed ever minute of my Canadian life.

      Delete
  4. Hello,
    I was spooked on my first helicopter ride in Kauai but the views are gorgeous. Take care, have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Kauai there are very steep hillsides to make things interesting.

      Delete
  5. Yikes! That is a small area to land on, but what an adventure. I bet I am the only one of your readers who has actually jumped out of a helicopter. I did it half a dozen times during my years skydiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought that you jumped from helicopters. Actually these circles are used in many places to designate landing pads.

      Delete
  6. I would have to close my eyes, I think, when it came to landing! Exciting trip for you, Red!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Was it difficult to return from that corner of the world to the 'real world'? or were you ready to move into the next chapter of your life?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of the more difficult things in my life to return south. I hadn't planned returning to the south.

      Delete
  8. That sounds like quite a nice ride on a helicopter. Interesting way to go out for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The helicopter flyer did a wonderful job landing. Glad he made the bullseye. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These pilots go through rigorous training.

      Delete
  10. My heart would be in my throat landing on that vessel! Great experience though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know that they do this every day so it works well.

      Delete
  11. Apart from a helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon (can't say I recommend it) I have only been in helicopters twice and both times it was unconscious to hospital - so my experience is pretty low.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I would not like to have a helicopter ride in those conditions as I'd like to enjoy the fun.

      Delete
  12. Yikes that does look like a small spot to land!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All hospitals have a similar landing pad.

      Delete
  13. I had a short helicopter ride once from the roof of my tv station in Phoenix up to a landing in the driveway of Senator Barry Goldwater's house. Yes, they do land in fairly small spots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Barry Goldwater yet! That's an interesting story to look back on.

      Delete
  14. THAT was an adventure! Great tale!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I wonder if any of your other followers love this post as much as I do. This is another great experience you had and I seriously think you should write a book. First of all, I looked at the large view of the first image and, wow, what a tiny community to be living in on the edge of nowhere. I’ll guess you could look at that photo and put an X on the place you were living. I took the words “Wakeham Bay” and searched for it on Google Maps. It took me to Kangiqsujuaq, QC, Canada. (I understand why you call it Wakeham Bay!) There are even pictures of the community. So, you were between Hudson Bay and Labrador Sea up at the latitude of Greenland. I hope you will tell us some more stories about what it was like to be there all winter. What do people do there to keep themselves entertained? Dinner with the Captain and the helicopter ride is a great story. Thanks, Red, for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How fun. I've been in small aeroplanes, but never a helicopter. I always left the flying to the pilot.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The north was all adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never ridden aboard a helicopter myself. It must have been quite an experience flying out across the bay for a tasty meal with the skipper.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those helicopter pilots certainly know what they are doing. You've had an interesting life Red.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm glad you had a capable helicopter pilot. I had a chance to ride a helicopter on the island of Kauai many years ago, BUT my mother made me promise not to go on the ride because there had been a couple of crashes recently. Sooo... my husband and two kids got to go and LOVED the experience. I glad you got to go too.

    ReplyDelete