Wednesday, November 15, 2023

A MEMORY

      Mr. Pudding from Yorkshire pudding was at a quiz night when # 12 was. What does the term weenie mean in North America.

     He didn't get it but it reminded me of a story revolving around a weenie roast. In my day the weenie roast was common and happened many times quite by accident.

    So in my days in Inuvik the Mackenzie river was he center of many things. It was spring...the beginning of June. The ice hadn't gone out on the Mackenzie river. But there was a rumor that is was going out this night. We had never seen the ice go out so about ten of us decided we would go down and wait for the ice to go out. And why not take a package of wieners and some buns and have a weenie roast while we waited. It was a mixed group of friends. The midnight sun was bright . We found some firewood...there was lots of it and built a fire and waited. 

    About 2:00 AM we decided the ice wasn't going out and  slowly went home. We all had to be at work in the morning. 

   Now the Mackenzie River divides into many channels but there is a main channel. Being white men who knew everything we had been taken in by some aboriginals who assured us the river would break up. The break up on the channel we were at would be great but not spectacular. 

    The main channel of the river is where the excitement takes place. There are enormous blocks of ice flying around and and enormous flow of water. 

    Any river that flows from south to north has a gigantic spring break up. It's warmer in the south and there's much melting. In the north the ice is still solid but the huge flow of water breaks up on the river. The ice is about 4 or 5 feet think. 

    So this is a weenie roast I'll remember and I never got to see the river break break up. 

18 comments:

  1. I know what a weenie is but don't think I've ever been to a weenie roast. Marshmallows maybe. I'll bet it was delicious despite not having the ice going out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've seen ice dam up a river on TV movies, and it looks pretty dangerous when it breaks and starts moving down the river. Maybe your weenie roast saved you from staying and getting hurt! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad not to see that. Good to have time with friends

    ReplyDelete
  4. The weenie roast sounds like a fun time and a happy memory. Hello, Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Weenie roasts are a thing across the country. Our grandkids still enjoy them today. Throw in a few marshmallows too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've probably always said the full weiner, but it is not something that has occurred a lot. OTOH, weenie can mean something along the lines of fraidy cat. Maybe not exactly coward but getting in that direction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. But although it didn't break up, you will never forget that night. Thanks for the great memory.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Red, this post really makes me smile. You are hitting new heights with Hiawatha House as you relate some of your truly fascinating experiences. I’m going to guess that not that many times in human history has anyone written a sentence exactly like this: “We had never seen the ice go out so about ten of us decided we would go down and wait for the ice to go out.” I simply can’t imagine someone saying to me, let’s go wait for the ice to go out. Red, 5-Stars for this post … keep up the good work! John

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like quite a memorable weenie roast adventure!(NewRobin13)

    ReplyDelete
  10. At least until my mom's death, we held a weenie roast every fall to celebrate the end of harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice memory, Red. Never been to a weenie roast but I imagine they are fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never have seen and ice break up, but that would be something exciting. As DJan said, you did get a good memory out of the event.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hot dogs taste best cooked over an open fire! And, yes, we say weenie roast, too. This is a great memory you had triggered by Mr. Pudding!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It has been years since I have been to a weenie roast, lots of good memories of roasting weenies over an open campfire!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haven't been to one of those in a long, long time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was really stumped when I read this sentence: "The ice hadn't gone out on the Mackenzie river." Even though I grew up in Massachusetts and knew a bit about ice, I'd never heard that expression. I'm still not sure I know exactly what it means. And now that I live in a subtropical part of Australia, I'm not likely to hear that around here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh that last sentence was disappointing dear Red
    this was intriguing post ,i imagined how you with your friends waiting for river melt at midnight till 2 am wow such a fun ,being man is all about freedom and enjoyment :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad you referred back to this post in a subsequent one, because I missed it earlier. What an interesting memory. Too bad you didn't see the ice break but it's still a fun story.

    ReplyDelete