Wednesday, January 10, 2024

SPENCER, THE JACK RABBIT

        Back on Dec. 10 posted about a jack rabbit that hadn't turned completely white. I went down a rabbit hole and started to keep track of this animal. 

         It started coming to my yard on a regular basis and I have a photo of each visit. Around visit 8 He/she received the name Spencer. 

        I told you before that jack rabbits make a scrape to sit in during the day. Spencer made a scrape in my raspberry patch. They make sure that their behind is covered so a predator can not see or sneak up on the rabbit. If the rabbit  sees something coming from the front they have escape routes. 

      Spencer stayed in my yard 13 times. Spencer usually came every 3 or 4 days. On Jan. 6 we had snow and Spencer's scrape was covered with snow and Spencer did not return.

       Now I'll give you the first and last photo and you can decide if there was much change in the coat

      They sit in the scrape all day. The occasionally stretch. They also spend a lot of time grooming. Spencer was spooked and left the scrape once but returned 30 min

                        First visit Nov. 25

                   Dec 27 so about the middle of the visit  

                                    Grooming
                         Last day Spencer visited


29 comments:

  1. Very interesting post Red! Your photos show very clearly that Spencer's fur was turning white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's turning but most are completely white except for the ears.

      Delete
  2. Spencer is a beautiful jack rabbit. I hope he is safe! Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will write about his safety and survival.

      Delete
  3. Definitely whiter. And such a face! Spencer is a perfect name for this guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The face markings are something different.

      Delete
  4. Aw. I hope Spencer is alive and well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that he has found some other place to park his bum all day.

      Delete
  5. What a good way to blend into the environment as the winter snows arrived...both warm and safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, great camouflage. Yeh ! I spelled camouflage correctly.

      Delete
  6. Spencer was turning white. Hope he’s ok.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's hard to tell from those photos but I think he appears lighter at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LD....I missed seeing rabbit tracks all over our back yared in the winter. The coyotes and foxes have cleaned out our population. I keep thinking of my childhood days on the farm in southern Iowa and seeing jackrabbits. Our dog once in a while would catch one to eat, but not very often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are well camouflaged and can run like the wind.

      Delete
  9. This is pretty cool about Spencer. First of all, I like the name. Then, I learned about how he makes a “scrape.” Well, I guess it must be comfortable or he wouldn’t stay there all day. 😊 He is definitely turning white. I suppose it’s going to take careful watching to see if he shows up again as he will be tough to spot in the snow. John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will not be sure if the next one that shows up will be Spencer.

      Delete
  10. Spencer is very cute, how fun to see the color changes over just a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason I started this series that this animal was still brown long after he/she should have been white.

      Delete
  11. Spencer is beautiful! Such a gift to see him come and go like this. Interesting how they change their coats. Mother Nature takes care of them so that they can blend in with their wintry environment, that's for sure. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved this post about your visitor. I hope he returns. The thing I like about having occasional wildlife in the yard is that you just never know what you'll see when you look outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wonder what is roaming around at night. I see many deer and rabbit tracks.

      Delete
  13. Not much change in Spencer's coat color. The cold air you had arrived...thanks. I hope Spencer shows up again:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope Spencer is doing OK these days! Surely by now, he is pure white.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't seen our cottontail is a few weeks. Hopefully she is asleep for now! Even the turkey is having trouble walking in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is really interesting sharing dear Red
    I enjoyed how you kept track of rabbit and named him after a famous writer (If remember rightly)
    Nature is awesome supporter of its creatures
    Photos show fairly how his coat is changing colour slowly each day.
    This might have something to do with thickening of the fur probably

    ReplyDelete
  17. Spencer really looks comfortable and that thick fur coat must be keeping him safe and alive if not totally warm.

    ReplyDelete