Friday, January 12, 2024

SURVIVAL

     Some readers, from the Spencer the Jack Rabbit post, rightly wondered about survival. It will be dropping down to minus 45 C tonight so people would think more than ever about survival of the critters. 

     Critters are extremely well adapted for survival. Human interference is the greatest challenge critters have. Humans have destroyed much of the earth's natural areas. Critters have had to adapt and find other habitat which may not be as suitable.

    All critters have their own survival mechanisms. For Spencer, he's active at night feeding on plant material that he likes. In the daytime he rests all day and digests food. At night there are fewer predators active and in the daytime he blends in with the environment. They have an incredible coat that keeps them warm and they find shelter. There's very little wind at ground level. Their survival rate is high until disease strikes. Many aboriginal groups used rabbit skins to wrap their infants in for winter. 

    Young of the year have a challenge for survival. Deer fawns, that are born later in the spring and early summer, will have trouble to survive. 

    Some critters have population cycles. The population of snow shoe hares increases enormously and then their predators do well until the food from snow shoe hares is less. 

      Here, many of our domestic animals have adapted. Horses and cattle grow a very heavy coat. Cattle and horses stay out all winter.

    Birds are a little more fragile when it comes to surviving in winter. They do molt and grow heavy down against the skin and new outer feathers. They seem to be able to find protected areas. They also become less active in the cold so use less energy. Sometimes a few chickadees will pile into a whole in a tree and nestle together for warmth. 

     Then there are the critters who hibernate. Bears for example. Frogs bury into the mud and are not active in the cold winter. Hey, we've even got snakes here. 

    Yes there will be losses in very severe weather but they have adaptations for the habitat they are suited for. 

    

27 comments:

  1. The critters are pretty adaptable but they can't adapt to all of humanity's craziness. Australia leads the world for extinctions. What a disgrace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too much of the natural areas are destroyed.

      Delete
  2. Interesting reading Red about how creatures adapt. One of my carers is off soon to live in Spain because she so hates winter here. At present it is three degrees and the sun is shining andthe sky is blue. She arrived this morning multi layered against the cold. I don't think she will be emigrating to your part of the world any time soon. I'm sure your winter wardrobe wil cope well with what life sends your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the right clothes to wear but at this age my hands get cold and I can't find anything that keeps them warm and lets me do things.

      Delete
  3. The critters do better than I do, I do not like to feel cold. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have our own tolerance of heat and cold.

      Delete
  4. How any poor critters survive that cold is beyond me. Stay warm, Red!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Critters have some adaptations that we don't have to keep them warm. Grandma always had a goose down comforter (quilt) and it was warm. The stove in the house went out and thetemp would be below freezing.

      Delete
  5. I once met a fellow who was doing his PhD on the physiological adaptation of a bird to winter. I think it was the redwing blackbird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of research has been done on how critters adapt to cold. Birds have less blood flowing in their feet.

      Delete
  6. I think I would be such a wimp if left out in the severe cold, Red! It is going to get very cold here in Illinois over the next few days and I am glad that I don't have to go anywhere. I'll hibernate for a few days! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would adapt and thrive like everybody else. Lots of Africans from Africa show up here and have no difficulty after they've been here and learn how to handle the cold.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for this information, I was just wondering how the wildlife cope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birds have less blood flowing through their feet so the other parts of the body can stay warm.

      Delete
  8. You were not impressed by my post about being cold. For you. I guess, anythig above freezing is mild. I wonder how you keep your house warm and keep pipes from freezing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The wildlife adapts better than I do as I age. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm a big wimp compared to a few years ago. I'm warm except for my hands.

      Delete
  10. I always wonder where sparrows go at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lots of cozy little places in the trees.

      Delete
  11. I went on a six-mile walk outside now that the wind has died down, even 11°F didn't feel too bad this morning. Now it's almost balmy at 21°F.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My adaptation was to move to Arizona! ;<D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes everyone and everything can survive frigid weather or go South!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is quite a sight to see those little chickadees fluffed up like a little ball of fur to keep warm. I read an article on how they survive throughout the winter, it is amazing how they adapt and how all wildlife adapt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It has been tough on critters. I fed deer this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Minus 45 if terribly frightening dear Red. You are and will be in my thoughts and prayers always!
    I agree such weather challenges our ability to survive .
    Good that rabbit has much probability of survival

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's all very interesting Red, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree with Denise. I found this very interesting, Red. I was wondering how animals and in particular birds were able to survive these crazy frigid temperatures you've been having. I never saw a frozen bird on the ground when we lived in Illinois.

    ReplyDelete