Friday, February 23, 2024

SPEAKERS

       I belong to a local naturalists group that has speakers for 6 or 7 months of the year.

     We are not a rich group so have to be careful in selecting speakers. We have a policy where we cover the speaker's expenses. Of course that limits getting some of the more prominent speakers. We sometimes have speakers from the local college, grad students from various universities and some scientists doing research. Speakers are quite often looking for publicity about their studies.

    Last night we had a speaker on bison. He is connected with the Grasslands  park in southern Saskatchewan where they are trying to establish a large herd of prairie bison.

    I have always been interested in bison. The speaker we had last night was disappointing in a number of ways. I was expecting to hear about the history and operation of Grasslands Park. There was nothing except in questions after the presentation. I was expecting to hear abut prairie bison in North America. There was very little. 

    The speaker gave the world history of bison over millions of years and how they got to North America. I was not interested in the long history of bison. So , although the guy was well prepared and knowledgeable I was not interested in the part of the topic he presented.

   So close to 100% of our speakers are great and  their topics interesting. So one disappointing speaker once in a while isn't bad. 

                                               Birders

            The scary moose at the nature center reminding us to be cautious.

22 comments:

  1. Gosh, Red... I would find the history of bison over millions of years rather interesting. :-) I'm glad he could answer your questions after his presentation though. Perhaps you could give speakers a 'heads up' on what sort of topics you'd be interested in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm probably the only one who was expecting something different. Members of this group knew who he was and some had heard him speak.

      Delete
  2. I would enjoy this speaker, any topic nature related. Love the moose.
    Take care, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I attend all these speakers. I guess was a little too fussy this time.

      Delete
  3. I was relieved that there are no moose on PEI. We feared night driving on the highway in Newfoundland because of those critters. Drivers don’t stand much of a chance against them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There ae lots of moose here . One went through my yard about 6 weeks ago.

      Delete
  4. You went with expectations, which is quite natural, but sometimes they can lead to disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear your speaker wasn't all that great, but so glad to hear that most of them are. That is a huge moose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The speaker was OK. I just thought he would talk about the prairie bison history.

      Delete
  6. Well, that's a bummer, but maybe others were into that big-picture history? At least he touched on your areas of interest in the Q&A period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm sure others liked this presentation.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Isn't that a dandy. It's made from cut steel.

      Delete
  8. Well jeepers Mr. Red. The speaker was wise not to bring a real bison for "show and tell" as part of his speech. Yep, I would have liked info on how they're developing the current herd. Linda in Kansas, where the buffalo roam, and the deer and the antelope play....from our state song.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My interest would be how the bison got to Western Canada and their current status! As for Grasslands Park, I have never been but would love to visit one day! Another place to add to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are some speakers who can take the most fascinating subject and turn it into the most boring talk ever. There are others who can talk on the subject of toothpaste in such a witty and interesting way that you sit there forever listening.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds interesting. Great photo of the moose wow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Having arranged many speakers over the years, I know how challenging it is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can remember my first workshop on integrating curriculum and technology. I was horrible! I did improve.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perhaps he should come bak and speak again on todays buffalo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a pity you had a boring speaker. I hope he improved later. I've seen bison on our travels. One great memory is getting into the back of a pick-up truck and being driven around husband's cousin's farm in North Dakota to see his bison herd. As it got dark and we drove away, we couldn't see them anymore except for 50 pairs of eyes glistening at us out of the darkness like diamonds.

    ReplyDelete