Tuesday, March 5, 2024

WINTER WEATHER.

      Now I like winter. I don't mind the cold. I like snow. I like wind and prairie blizzards. 

     Now having said all that, I'm about to do a 180.

    This winter has been very different from our usual winter. Generally it's been a mild winter with above average temperatures. We've had long stretches of above average winter.

    This photo was taken from a window in my house. It was very dull. 



   However , I don't like constant change to the extremes. This week we've had lows of minus 28 C and highs of around minus 20 C. This is the first week of March! We should not be getting these temperatures, although they do happen. The week before we had similar very frigid weather. Then it was mild and thawed so that we had ice. We've had icy conditions all winter. I like to walk but I stay away from ice now. I watch kids who look for the longest  patch of very slippery ice and then slide. If they fall,  no harm is done. If I fall, I could remain broken for the rest of my life. 

    This winter with the mild spells we have lots of ice. 

    So I would like a winter that starts with snow and cool temperatures at the beginning of Nov. Then it can gradually get colder with snow piling up. Then in Mar. and April it can warm up and snow and ice slowly melt.

   However, the world doesn't work like this. We have a great variety as weather change all the time. 

   Maybe it's time to buy a gym membership and walk inside. We have a city facility with a 400 m walking and running track. 

27 comments:

  1. Being constantly changeable means you never acclimatise to the season. It does wear one down after a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. Gradual changes are easier to take.

      Delete
  2. If you buy that membersship next winter don't walk to the gym and park as near as possible to the door when you get there to avoid ice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It used to be that we had very little ice through the winter. It rarely got up to thawing temperatures.

      Delete
  3. The weather is strange, we are having warmer temperatures now.
    I do have an exercise bike to use on the bad weather days.
    Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are having wild changes so it melts and freezes. We did not have much thawing in the winter.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I've tried cleats but they are awkward and uncomfortable.

      Delete
  5. Oh, you are right, Red. I never walk outside when there is snow and ice as I have a great fear of falling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I do lot of walking. The frustrating part is that 90% can have no ice but the 10% can cause a problem.

      Delete
  6. I worry about the change in our weather and the consequences -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There certainly have been changes and there will be more.

      Delete
  7. There's always mall-walking! Do you have an enclosed shopping mall near you?

    This seems to be the way winter works, now -- the cold weather comes later and is likely to stick around longer (with warm periods in between).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have two large malls and people do walk in them. I can't get my head around walking in the mall...no fresh air.

      Delete
  8. The wind is keeping us indoors this winter. The ice has been bad too. Take care, Red.

    ReplyDelete
  9. JB has been walking around the arena. It really is terrific. I hear you about the extremes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a new arena with a walking track but they want money from you.

      Delete
  10. Walking inside might be a good plan, but I agree that it is just not the same as a brisk walk outside. I can't do "brisk" anymore, but I do enjoy the cold air on my face. My cold is only in the upper 30's F though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, walking indoors is not like the real think. It's too dusty.

      Delete
  11. People here used to meet at the mall in the morning, before the stores opened up and do laps around the empty mall. Of course, now we have no mall. Do you have any up there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have two malls. I don't think I could talk myself into mall walking.

      Delete
  12. Now that is ccccccold! I think walking inside would be a good idea, at least until you thaw a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Icy spots here too from the freeze and thaw cycle, and then the ice gets covered in snow:(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I would be walking inside. Way too cold for me and I also like winter. We are having a lovely day here today but know that can change in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always wished for that sort of winter in Chicago, but never really got it. My daughter was just complaining last week that they had 72 degrees F one day and then below freezing the next. She was sure her tulips died.

    ReplyDelete