Sunday, May 12, 2024

MOTHER'S DAY

       I wished my wife a happy mother's day ...yesterday. I got ahead of myself. 

       for days like Mother's day and other days marking special occasions or people, I like to think of their origin and how it was celebrated when I was young. Yes , they were all celebrated when I was young and in many parts of the world . Mny of the origins are similar. 

      My Father felt that special days were rather artificial so he did not give them much importance. So very little notice of mother's day was noted in our home. Our mother deserved recognition as she worked very hard with limited resources. She was a farmer's wife and had very few conveniences. Rural areas thought of these days as related to urban people. 

      So I looked up the origins of Mother's day to see where it originated and when it began to be celebrated. As with most of these special days , the origin goes far back in history. 

      As I said before, my mother was hard working but not only that a very caring person. My Mother died when she was 59. I often think of her and how her life was shortened by cancer. The older I get the more I see what a strong caring person she was. I also see that many of my strong points come from her either by teaching or inheritance. 

     I was looking for another photo of Mom when she was older. So this will have to do when she was younger and spending most of her time looking after me.



34 comments:

  1. Aw such a great old photo Red! Happy Mother's Day to your Micro Manager!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. You're right that the photo is old.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know that you lost your mother so early in your lives. She sounds like a wonderful woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the time we thought she was old. Looking back we can see that she was very young. Three of her four sons are in their 80's.

      Delete
  3. A nice photo..a loving mother giving you the security to observe the world

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First child and she was very happy.

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry you lost your mom when she was still reasonably young. She sounds like a very fine woman. I love her photo holding you. I can see the resemblance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a good person and did well against many odds and challenges.

      Delete
  5. It is sad your Mother died so young, my mother passed away when she was 69. Love the photo of your Mom and you as a baby! Take care, enjoy your day and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good memories even though long past.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice tribute to your mom, Red!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, what a sweet photo, Red! She is looking at you with such love!
    I read recently that there was Mothers' Day (1870) set up earlier than Mother's Day (1908). The first one was after the US Civil War and the Franco-Prussian War when writer and reformer Julia Ward Howe thought that "women must take control of politics from the men who had permitted such carnage." Of course the 1908 Mother's Day was set to celebrate mothers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's lots of good history surrounding Mother's day.

      Delete
  9. Nice photo... I really enjoy it.
    Honor Mother's Day.
    We're celebrating it, and today I have a beautiful bouquet of flowers on my table...
    a hug for you with warm regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Enjoy the day and whole year,

      Delete
  10. Always nice to remember our moms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though Mom has been gone a very long time we remember many things as she ran the household.

      Delete
  11. How wonderful to hear of your mother and what a great person she was. My mother was a decade older when she died, but it was still too soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They lived in a completely different age. Today there would be many things to treat both cancer and heart disease.

      Delete
  12. A lovely photo and a great rememberance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a few good family phots of the early part of our family life.

      Delete
  13. People were so resourceful and persistent in those days and farming has always been a tough occupation. Women like your mum held the world together.
    A lovely tribute, Red and I'm sorry you didnt get more time with her.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My mother and hers always called it "mothering Sunday". My mother also died far too soon of cancer, aged 62.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are lucky to have that photo. It’s a classic. Nice post and tribute to your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i agree with John you are lucky to have photo dear Red !
    a photo is way to relook that precious moment .i am lucky as well by the grace of God !
    i see how your deep love reflects in your writing for your mother .it seems so natural that with age when we are less occupied with worldly responsibilities we miss more our parents ,mothers specially .may because they were the person who loved us most in this world and may be this is what we want to repay now through actions and tributes of words :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. this photo warms my heart ! such a sweet and beautiful photo !!!

    ReplyDelete