Thursday, August 6, 2026

99 BOTTLES OF BEER

                      I have told you many times that I was a teacher in  middle school grades for all my 37 years of teaching. I received many interesting assignments. I liked changes because it made things more interesting.

       One of the assignments I liked was outdoor ed. For many years I was given an outdoor ed class to teach. We covered food, clothing, map reading and safety. Of course the kids had to try out what they learned on field trips. We went back packing in the fall. We winter camped in November. We cross country skied in the winter. We stayed at Youth Hostels.(That's another story)

     So we took the bus to all these  activities. I didn't have a bus license so I got to ride in the back of the bus to patrol all the rowdies, We usually had a 3 hour trip so there was a lot of time to get bored. Some kids listened to their walkman. (This was a long time ago.)Some read a book in all the noise. Some brought games. However, In the back of the bus where I sat with all the rowdies there was a lot of singing. One tune I remember them singing was 99 bottles of beer. I  don't remember any of the words. I think it was a repetition where each number had a made up verse until they got to one. They were enthusiastic as  they tried to make up silly lines. And let me tell Middle school kids can get very silly

    So after hearing 99 bottles of beer many times, I do not remember one line. The ride back  home was  usually much quieter.

17 comments:

  1. You have wonderful memories, it used to be really nice sometimes... now everything is different, the teacher is worthless, sad!
    Wishing you a nice Friday, Andreja!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the risk of an earworm, the song had something to do with bottles on a wall, taking some down, and recounting. Glad you lived through the adventures. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The ride back home was usually much quieter..." Probably because you were asleep after downing 99 bottles of beer at the youth hostel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, I remember that song too. It was popular on the buses for the field trips. Take care, Happy Friday! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 99 bottles of beer on the wall
    99 bottles of beer
    Take one down
    Pass it around
    98 bottles of beer on the wall

    I sat at the back of the bus singing many times myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It goes like this:

    99 bottles of beer on the wall,
    99 bottles of beer.
    Take one down and pass it around,
    98 bottles of beer on the wall.

    Then you keep repeating, counting down one bottle at a time:

    98 bottles of beer on the wall,
    98 bottles of beer ...

    And so on, all the way to zero.

    A classic song for making a long bus ride feel even longer! 😄

    ReplyDelete
  7. We sang, "99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer, take one down and pass it around, 98 bottles of beer on the wall. 98 bottles of beer on the wall, 98 bottles of beer, take one down and pass it around, 97 bottles of beer on the wall" etc. etc. etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, if that's the worst thing the "rowdies" did, you had some pretty tame kids. :)

    I sang it just as the others mentioned above.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The version we sang

    99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer
    If one of those bottle would happen fall
    There'd be 98 bottles of beer on the wall

    And so on and so forth

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know if singing songs on school trips is still popular, but children can get very noisy - distracting for the driver. 😷

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our version … 10 green bottles sitting on the wall, 10 green bottles sitting on the wall, if one green bottle should accidentally fall they’ll be 9 green bottles sitting on the wall. Then start again from 9 green bottles - interesting to see the different ways to sing it, Helen (UK)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounded like a lot of fun! No doubt you had your work cut out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Three hour bus rides?! That's dedication!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I got the lyrics on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/99_Bottles_of_Beer
    I'll have to listen to it on YouTube to hear the melody. I can't quite remember the tune although I know I've heard it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't heard that song in decades. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't need rowdies to learn that song! Maybe I was a rowdy myself.

    ReplyDelete