Instead I'll write about some of the scenery that we have for hiking.
The Rocky Mountains are roughly 100 miles from here. The Rockies are a range on the eastern side of the mountains of north America. The Rockies are not a giant range of mountains. Very few of them are more than 10000 feet. However they are beautiful with colors shapes and snow.
I was fortunate enough to go on some back packing trips with friends. Very few areas actually required climbing. Mostly we followed trails until we reached a peak.
In one area we drove by what we thought was a peak. We looked at it for several years and finally said lets walk up there. We got up only to find that it was the end of a ridge. We had to scramble up the las 300 ft of altitude. The ridge carried on for several miles. A gust of wind caused us to flatten out on the ridge as it was very narrow and we could have been blown off.
So we took the kids up Whirlpool Point Ridge many times. This was our name for the area.
So here we are in the beautiful Rockies looking at where we were going.
Wow! What a post. Haven't seen anything like this on Hiawatha House for a long time. Nice work, Red! Enjoyed all the photos!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your hiking trip, but I miss having a translator on your blog, now I’m making do with Google’s :))
ReplyDeleteWishing you a lovely Monday!
I enjoyed your hiking trip, but I miss having a translator on your blog, now I’m making do with Google’s :))
ReplyDeleteWishing you a lovely Monday!
The Rockies really pulled me in. I dreamt of them for a full month after we got home. This was in 2000 when we spent a number of nights in the mountains. Well, days too. 🤓
ReplyDeleteI would not care to cross that bridge on foot - I'd have to go over on all fours.
ReplyDeleteI climbed up a number of peaks in the Rockies as a young man and have lots of memories of those days. I'm not sure I can ever do it again now so I'm fortunate to have the memories.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this post and admiring your photos! I would love to know where your peak photos were taken. That looks like the Spray Lake below. I hope you share more posts like this one.
ReplyDeleteThe lake is Abraham lake . Three photos are on top of whirl Pool Point ridge. The other one is just off the highway. You can see the highway just below. It's a good place to go except accommodations aRE LIMITED. THERE Are some places at the Sask river crossing.
DeleteI knew the area looked familiar! Back in May 2023 I spent a few nights at the Expanse Cottages in Nordegg so explored the area around Abraham Lake quite a bit. I have also stayed at The Crossing at Saskatchewan River Crossing many times. That stretch along Abraham Lake is so beautiful.
DeleteMy goodness! How brave you were to climb up to those scary places! I could never do it as I would be too afraid of falling. Look at that skinny, rickety bridge! You are quite the adventurer, Red!
ReplyDeletelooks like a very fun trip!
ReplyDeleteWell, I would not be crossing over that bridge! I see no cable hand holds and very rough water below.
ReplyDeleteHiking here in Washington State in mostly done on the Cascade Mountains, which have volcanic peaks and many lesser summits to test one's skills.
What a great time you must have had there, though I might have paused myself at that bridge. I once went on a weekend hike with a group from the hospital I worked at years ago in my early 20s. We marched miles on Dartmoor and it was a fun experience. I don't remember having to cross any rivers but we did have to watch out for the bogs :) Thanks for the story and these great photos.
ReplyDeleteGreat post and photos! The Rocky Mountains are beautiful.
ReplyDeleteTake care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.
The Rockies look very challenging indeed. Never say i can't make a statement of the obvious!
ReplyDeleteEeeeee! That picture of you climbing...if it was that steep, I could not have brought myself to do it.
ReplyDelete