Tuesday, March 1, 2022

LINKS

     It's interesting how our thoughts and ideas run from topic to topic. One idea puts us on to more ideas. It's how a conversation takes place. Ideas are linked.

     My neighbor across the street rarely if ever wears a jacket in winter. It got me thinking that high school and college kids did not wear winter coats a few years ago . I guess they thought it was cool.  

     When it comes to winter clothing I'm a bit of a fussy pants. I've spent a lot of time outdoors hiking, skiing and snowshoeing in the Rocky mountains. I know how to keep warm and comfortable. If a kid was cold usually all you had to tell him is put your tuque on and in five minutes the kid was warm.

      This got me thinking about a person in the 1960's who did not wear a winter jacket. But George did wear winter fleece lined under wear and a heavy shirt

     Then it got me thinking about who George was. George was a rather well known Canadian. The first big Alberta oil strike was Leduc #1 in 1947 . You guessed it. George was the driller. 


     George's portrait is a well known Canadian photo. He's pictured with a drill bit on his shoulder. They're heavy. I couldn't even move one let alone pick it up. How many people remember seeing this portrait?

I met George and his family when I was teaching in a town where they lived. George was a drilling supervisor. They moved regularly. Most oil people did at that time. George and his family lived in a small house trailer. George's trailer was 8 ft. wide. Most trailers were ten or twelve feet wide. When George had to move , he just closed the trailer door and hooked it onto his truck and away he went. 

      George was a large man and so were his kids. We often wondered how they fit in such a small house trailer. When we asked his son, he would just laugh and say they were used to it. 

    George was a story teller. We heard the story of Leduc # 1 blowing in many times. They were taken by surprise. Most of the holes they were drilling were dry but this time they were lucky. 

    Now this could keep me going to other ideas but, I'll stop for tonight!

41 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info! I didn't know the drill bits were so heavy. Flannel skivvies sounds cozy! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As kids we wore "winter under wear" all winter! They were fleece lined and warm.

      Delete
  2. It is not cool to be coat-less in winter, but it is cold. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, people could have all kinds of fun with that line.

      Delete
  3. Yup! Those ideas just keep linking up with each other. The mind is in a perpetual relay race as the baton gets passed around. Just don't drop it Red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mind works in overdrive but I'm a very quiet person. Other people can do the talking.

      Delete
  4. That's a great story about George. I never heard of him before, but then again, I'm not Canadian. I only wish I was. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George was well known in his day. He was born in 1914

      Delete
  5. I don’t remember seeing the photo before but it brought back interesting memories which you shared. Thank you.

    I wonder what became of those kids George raised in that little trailer…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I knew them the oldest son was in college and the youngest son was in gr 12. The daughter was in gr. one . I don't know where they are.

      Delete
  6. You have got a lot of great stories, Red. I didn't know what a tuque was so I had to google it! Now I know! I often learn something new from your interesting posts. Thanks, Red!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tuque comes from the French part of us.

      Delete
  7. I am wondering if that photo is a Malak Karsh. While he's known for his landscapes, he also did work on people at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing I know for sure is that it is an Imperial Oil photo. It's a great photo.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for that interesting bit of history.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen the photo of George before or read of his story. An interesting, energetic, and hardworking guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George was actually a low key kind of guy but spoke with authority and conviction.

      Delete
  10. I'll take you up on some links here. First, I used to be the kid who didn't wear coats (or boots or anything else) properly for winter. I knew I'd really grown up when I started opting for comfort over "coolness" when going outside in the cold. As for George here, I don' think I've seen that photo though I know of the Leduc #1 story. Indeed, drill bits are huge and heavy and also proof that diamonds aren't nearly as rare as the jewelry people would like us to believe - those bits have diamonds all over them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point about the diamonds on the drill bit...commercial diamonds!

      Delete
  11. An interesting fellow! I have a light weight down parka and I love it, keeps out the wind and cold:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Red, thanks for teaching me about a couple of things new to me. First, George, interesting story about that Canadian. Secondly, a brand new word for my 70+ year old vocabulary ... tuque - noun - CANADIAN - a close-fitting knitted stocking cap. I always enjoy a visit to Hiawatha House. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I've grown up with tuques on my head , I thought everybody knew about tuques.

      Delete
  13. And that for some reason has got me thinking about the laundry lady where I worked: on seeing some young girls with bare midriffs she said they ought to at least wear a vest.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never heard of George. But you're right about body heat -- putting on a hat makes a HUGE difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when we camped in the cold, you always wore your tuque.

      Delete
  15. Nice slice of history you shared. I go out these days in the cold, I have to dress up warm and would rather overheat than freeze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting to be a sissy about the cold these days.

      Delete
  16. Isn't it funny how one thought leads to another and before you know it you are remembering a great story from your past! Thank you for telling us about George. He certainly does sound like an interesting fellow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George was an authority on oil well drilling.

      Delete
  17. I bet they are drilling like crazy today. I find the trailer house story interesting. We had friends that lived in a single wide trailer with five kids. I can't imagine packing them all in small bedrooms. They must have been use to being piled up everywhere. Divorce did happen after the kids were all out of school.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, one idea leads to another, and they can come so fast I forget them. When they start coming, I hurry for the pen and paper to write them down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too! Yes, I write things down. My desk is covered with notes.

      Delete
  19. Winter clothing? Our son used to wear shorts all winter long when he was growing up in NY, through the cold and the snow and ice. So after he graduates what does he do? He moves to SC where snow and ice are unheard of (and now that he has a job he wears long pants, all through the heat and humidity!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great memories of George that came into tour stream of consiousness. And layering is the secret to keeping warm for sure along with those tuques!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Not wear a winter coat in Canada? Seriously? I remember kids not wearing a hat in Chicago and there was a story going around that some high schooler got frostbite on his ears.

    I do love how your mind works, Red.

    ReplyDelete
  22. i enjoyed how you linked up ideas which led you towards George who lived interesting life inn trailer ,sounds cool because i like traveling once in a while :)
    yes i remember in school days whether it was cool or not girls cared less for warm clothes

    ReplyDelete