Saturday, June 24, 2023

A GOOD SITE FOR ART

   We have an excellent park system. The park runs along both sides of the Red Deer River. Sometimes the strip of land along the river is very narrow and sometimes it opens to parcels of several hundred acres. There's Heritage ranch at one end and Gaetz Lake Sanctuary at the opposite end. 

      I have volunteered with this system in a couple of capacities. Several years ago heavy gauge steel silhouette art was placed in three different places. Now I judge myself to be somewhat open minded when it comes to art but these I don't like for several reasons.

    I don't think that they are in the right place. One set of figures shows a man and wife who are pioneers. The sanctuary is for flora and fauna. Species get some protection and people can be taught about some of the species. Another set of figures depicts the North West Rebellion. The opposite end of the park has some relationship to the rebellion but not the sanctuary. Then there's a weird little "Jeep" thing which makes no sense at all but may refer to a WW II army base that was nearby. 

      Only one piece makes sense and that's a large moose adjacent to a small entry road to the sanctuary. There are many moose in the area. It is also a great reminders to drivers to watch for moose. The figure is very eye catching as you enter the sanctuary. 

    So what's your opinion of these pieces? 

     Okay, I've got the first photo. It looks like the Gaetz's who originally owned the land for the Gaetz Lake Sanctuary. 







30 comments:

  1. Yes to the moose...the rest belong elsewhere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The black doesn't fit in with the area.

      Delete
  2. I like the moose:) Placement of the art should be key to their meaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it should be more key than this stuff.

      Delete
  3. Art in the park is fun. I love the moose. Take care, have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh, I do like that moose! You are right about the odd choices for art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The moose is quite striking when you drive in. I'll never get used to seeing it there.

      Delete
  5. In a different setting, perhaps. But most seem out of place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not really a good setting for any art.

      Delete
  6. The moose certainly looks like it belongs there in the sanctuary. The other pieces of art seem to celebrate something entirely different from the sanctuary itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the first time I saw it out there. I really wondered what it was.

      Delete
  7. I do like the moose the best, though if I were driving past I might think at first glance that it was real!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is realistic and I don't get used to seeing it there.

      Delete
  8. I tend to agree with you Red. Apart from the Moose, which I love - all the others seem incongruous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what the background was on these pieces.

      Delete
  9. The black makes the pieces stark. Then again, they represent huge change…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that they were trying to say something but it's in the wrong place.

      Delete
  10. Sounds like everyone likes the moose. I'll go with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The moose is in a natural setting and moose move through the area all the time.

      Delete
  11. The moose is the best, the rest of them should be relocated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The moose does a good job of serving a purpose.

      Delete
  12. They don’t exactly call to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well , what about the moose? doesn't it call you?

      Delete
  13. They do seem incongruent to the setting, with the exception of the moose. I could see having the pioneers near their homestead, and the others on or near the base.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, the moose is definitely the "star of the show".

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can you influence the powers that are to relocate all but the moose?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would have thought they would stick to representation of the flora and fauna as well. Sometimes there's no explaining artists' (or clients' choices)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think they get a chunk of money from grants to spend on art. there are strings attached.

      Delete