Wednesday, June 21, 2023

MY 83rd SUMMER SOLSTICE

     I like special days like summer solstice. I have always thought about the longest day of the year even as a child. Well, I probably missed the first half dozen. 

     I only attended a summer solstice celebration once. I was living in Inuvik NWT. Some of us would climb up a hill just south of town. We had a good supply of hotdogs and beer. We would wait until midnight. Now at that latitude we had 24 hour daylight . We'd had 24 hour daylight for about 3 weeks. So the getting together was not for celebrating the longest day but solstice itself. So gradually we would wander off home (no cars) and appear a little bleary eyed a work the next morning. 

   So here ae todays numbers: 

             sunrise 5:13 AM

             sunset 10:00 PM

             Daylight hours 16:47

      The photos are not from today but a few years ago. I was out for a bike ride when I took these photos. 

     The sun shining on the north side of  house about 9:20 PM
    Just before sundown.
     10:00 PM in my back yard. 


22 comments:

  1. You do have very long days of sunlight there. I love the season of equinox, but solstice is wonderful way to understand the tilting revolution of our earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've experienced longer during my time in the Arctic.

      Delete
  2. It's those days when you get doing things in the afternoon, and think I'm peckish..must be time for a teabreak..and it's after seven!
    Happy Solstice! Pirate has seen the same number as you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, evening comes much later. When I was in the Arctic with 24 hour daylight I felt as if I had more energy.

      Delete
  3. Pretty capture of the sunshine. Happy Summer Solstice. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That photo was a surprise for me as it was the first sunset photo I'd ever taken.

      Delete
  4. For a few years, I tired to get up for solstice sunrise, but I haven’t made it for few years, and most certainly not this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't made those special times for a few years now. SAd!

      Delete
  5. 5:27 to 9:20 that is 15 hours and 53 minutes for us. Now the days get shorter...all that light wasted early this Spring when it was so cold you could not be outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I stayed in and wasted the hot afternoons!

      Delete
  6. We have lots of daylight at this time of year, too. I am actually kind of glad that we are now beginning to lose a little bit each day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For us today by comparison it's 5:15 and 8:55.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And your nights get very dark. Our nights don't get terribly dark.

      Delete
  8. Our sunrise is the same time but sunset is earlier, 9:11.
    Happy Solstice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our time system skews out times when compared with others.

      Delete
  9. Here in good old Arizona, we don't do Daylight Savings Time so it gets dark by around 8 at night.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy belated solstice. I can't imagine it being light at 10 PM!

    ReplyDelete