Thursday, June 29, 2023

UNCLE ANGUS

       Well, it's the end of June. I didn't need to tell you that. The year is half over. You don't need to know that. 

     Since I was a teacher the end of June was a very important time of the year. The kids had been " finished" for about two weeks. They were just waiting for the year to be over. However, where I taught we had to teach in the last school day of June. 

    Now to add to the mix the caretaking staff were getting ready for their summer work. Some painting would be done. Repairs could be made to plumbing, electrical systems , wood work and floors. Much material was being delivered to the school. The caretakers were ready for the kids to leave so that they could get on with their work.

    I always think of one care taker in particular for the end of year. Angus was a character. He was a great story teller. He liked to have an audience so the school was his audience. There was always somebody around to talk to. 

    Angus was not always a school caretaker. He was a farm hand in his younger days and the stories just flowed from that part of his life. 

    Angus finally settled down and had an acreage and small house. Angus liked farm auction sales and knew a bargain when he saw one. So Angus had acquired a large number of odds and ends that he would freely loan to any teacher who wanted something. All his possessions where in good order. He knew what he had and where to find it. 

    So a number of the young teachers who were getting established did lots of work on their houses and yard. Where did you go for special tools? Angus. He loved to let you have his equipment for you to use. 

   So some of us started calling him Uncle Angus because he took an interest in helping us. 

    So at the end of June I think about the smell of wax  and Uncle Angus. 



     

29 comments:

  1. When I first started teaching high school, June was almost a bonus month. Exams would be held early, and once they were marked, there was a fair bit of loose time. By the end of my career, it was much different with exams late and very little time afterward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when I was in high school we went home after we finished the exam.

      Delete
  2. What a nice guy! He doesn't look old enough for all of that experience. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops Linda. That's me. I should have put a caption with the photo.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I liked teaching and have some good memories.

      Delete
  4. Without the efforts of people like Angus schools would soon come to a grinding halt. What they do is taken for granted by everyone - teachers, pupils and parents. When I worked in a residential school for children with physical and learning difficulties I only ever remember one parent who would arrive at Christmas with boxes of biscuits or chocolates for the maintenance crew, cooks and domestic staff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right that these people make thinks tick. they are important. You forgot one group Office staff.

      Delete
  5. A very useful man to know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was very generous with his stuff.

      Delete
  6. So glad to learn about Angus. You have such good memories, Red!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked what I did and the people who worked with me and of course the kids.

      Delete
  7. Aw. I've had my fair share of custodians. They are interesting people! Jos finished school the 20th, Izzy yesterday. Cannot believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Angus sounds like a lovely person to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angus sounded gruff but most of the time he was kind.

      Delete
  9. You have amazing memories. Take care, have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great memories of an important worker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maintenance and office staff were extremely important to keep things running smoothly.

      Delete
  11. When I first saw this post I "started" because I had an Uncle Angus! He was a pharmacist with his own drug store in Minneapolis and at one time was president of the Minnesota Pharmaceutical Association (or whatever it was called). But I liked him because he had a soda fountain in his store and would always treat me to an ice cream sundae or soda when we came for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great memory and a fun read. It occurred to be two days ago that SCHOOL IS OUT. Having been retired so long now I had been missing that feeling. I got it back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thee were many exciting times during the school year.

      Delete
  13. Wonderful memory of a memorable man. I suspect many of the children would remember him too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The maintenance staff kept their distance from kids.

      Delete
  14. Definitely someone useful to have around.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Uncle Angus is the kind of person I would have enjoyed listening to. Sounds like a great guy! And that's a great picture.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great story, Red. You really should write a book! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good memories of Uncle Angus.

    ReplyDelete