Friday, March 8, 2024

ELEANOR COLLINS

     This morning I was listening to my favorite radio station. CBC, and they were talking about Eleanor Collins, Canada's first lady in jazz. I could not call up any clear memories of this lady. Eleanor Collin was the topic as she had just died at age 104.

    There was more chatter and then they played some of her music. That brought it back instantly. I remembered. It goes back to the days of radio when there were programs instead of wall to wall music or talk. So in the 40's and early fifties Eleanor sang on the radio. So in those days of radio you were exposed to the great performers and once you hear her you will remember the music even if you don't remember the singer.

    They played music from a concert when she was 95. It was still the great voice. 

    At that time there was lots of racism. Eleanor moved her family to Vancouver and the residents didn't want a black family in the neighborhood. She persisted. she taught music in the schools and showed how talented she was and the kids were exposed to a great singer. 

    So tonight I will go to you tube and look for some Eleanor Collis.

    I recommend that all of you take a few minutes to find Eleanor Collins and listen to her. 

    

19 comments:

  1. I just listened to her on YouTube. Wow! What an amazing, gifted, beautiful singer. I see Canada made a stamp with her picture on it too. What a truly fascinating woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny that I listened to her long ago and then didn't hear her again.

      Delete
  2. I hadn't heard of her until her passing. Thank you for the information. I'll check out her You Tube videos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was often on radio and I think that was before your time.

      Delete
  3. I will look for her songs on youtube, she is new to me.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will do so. Thanks, Red!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know about her, Red. She sure had a wonderful voice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was much more prominent on radio.

      Delete
  6. Will do, I have some housecleaning to do later and will put her on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will do that, Red. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found “CBC remembers the life and times of jazz singer Eleanor Collins” on YouTube. Possibly the program you were listening to? What a great voice. I would like to hear more of her, but there doesn’t seem to be much on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just checked her .she was not just very beautiful lady but marvellous singer indeed.a lovely voice !!!
    Sad she faced racism in those days of 40s.but her struggle for survival is admirable.
    Thanks for introducing Red!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I heard the show on CBC too and also heard bits of her on other shows like The Current. I vaguely remember hearing her on the radio a long time ago. I'm a big CBC listener too.

    ReplyDelete