Saturday, August 1, 2026

COMMENTS ON COMMENTS

          A few weeks ago I changed things on my blog. It was my intention to post a comment every day.

         I admit that I have been struggling the last while. I've found topics hard to come by and the writing wasn't up to what I expected of myself. I've also discovered that my aging slows things down.

         I've had a list of quotes that I wanted to use on the blog for a long time. I wanted to make a side bar with a quote of the day. I collected the comments in my teaching days as I had a quote of the day on the chalk board to get kids attention before I entered the classroom. So my secret for comments was  to get them out of the local paper. Today you can find books of comments.

         I've had some comments on the change. I know I lost some followers but, I also gained some. Some expressed their opinion which was great. I like to see both positive and negative comments. I also like the comments on the way the blog was written before.

     I appreciated one comment more than any other and it didn't make it on to the blog. My son said, "  Dad, it's just not you!" I appreciated his keen sense of who I am and that he will miss that part. By the way he said , " Dad  go back to what you had before."

   A funny thing is happening. I seem to be writing as many posts as before so you are getting two types of blog.

   Thanks for reading from 2008. I've learned so much from this activity. I've found so many interesting  on line friends.

19 comments:

  1. I go back and forth a lot on blogging. Sometimes I love it and the community, and sometimes it just feels like a heavy obligation. My favorite thing about you is your stories from long ago, and that I knew you in real life. It's too bad kids can't see teachers as human beings just like them, but I'm glad I've gotten to know you now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The son does not yet understand the Dad enjoying retirement to be as the Dad wants. You are emitting wisdom either way! Thanks, Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the contrary, “Linda in Kansas”… “the son” understands the joy the father gets in telling stories about moments in his life… the sharing of observations he’s accumulated over his time. And not the regurgitation of someone else’s impersonal, irrelevant thought bubble. “The son” sees the pressure the father is under to fill space at a self-determined pace he can’t indefinitely keep up… but knows there’s more value in the father speaking from the heart when he has something to say versus just spitting out Googled cliches in lieu of.

      Delete
    2. Hi Brian, your comment is excellent. Just a few years separate me from our dear Red, and, I think he is experiencing some of the same blogger issues I am. I’ve enjoyed blogging since 2011. However, the last couple of years I’ve noticed something sort of like what Pixie said: “Sometimes I love it and the community, and sometimes it just feels like a heavy obligation.” So, it delights me to see your comment about your dad speaking from the heart. That is why I’m here! John

      Delete
  3. Write whatever you want, they say a good place also finds a nice word. Wishing you a lovely Sunday, Andreja!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Red I appreciate what ever you write! You do whatever you want to...maybe a mix of both "you" and quotes:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Red, I don't think I've commented on a post of yours since you've made the change. But I'm still reading them! You have to do what meets your needs at this time and if posting a quote a day does it then continue doing it. Most of us lose inspiration or creativity as time passes but after a break or a change, it often returns so perhaps you'll get your mojo back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I'd found your blog sooner! (I think that I started blogging at about thf same time)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Only you can decide the right way to do your own blog. If you find it's becoming a struggle, then it's probably time to make changes. Not many bloggers post as often as once every day. If you are forcing yourself to work to a particular pattern, and finding it burdensome, then it's not genuinely you -- as a blog is supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How and what we post changes from time to time. It’s okay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should blog any way you like. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Finding material for blog posts isn't always simple, but it's rewarding. I like to read people's opinions on topics.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy whatever you post, Red, whether it's quotes or your own thoughts or photos. I'm happy to see a post whenever you feel like posting! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Red, I’ve been here through it all, and it delights me to see this post. John

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blogs change and evolve just like their writers. Just because you experiment with one format doesn't mean you need to keep it forever and always. Nothing wrong with posting quotes interspersed with more thoroughly "written" posts when you're inspired! At least you know your son reads your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I still read every post but usually only comment when I feel I can add something to the conversation. With the quotes, there really isn't a conversation and thus I haven't commented.

    I used to blog daily but soon felt like I was struggling to come up with things to write. I then stopped writing daily and just writing as things came to me but then ended up with many posts in a row followed by large gaps with nothing. In the end I settled on three posts a week and generally keep two weeks of completed posts queued up to publish automatically so it takes the pressure off the dry spells by having the buffer. I have been pretty happy with that format and likely won't change it anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I check in every day, even if I don't comment because your quotes might take too much thinking. :-)
    You might have noticed that I'm down to one or two posts a week now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your son gives good advice.
    Comments are the most difficult part of blogging for me. I admire folks that post wonderful comments.
    May

    ReplyDelete
  17. You know I always enjoy seeing anything you write and of course, always love your comments. Since we've both been blogging since 2008, it feels like I've known you forever as an old friend.
    It is getting more and more difficult for me to keep writing something on my blog 3 times a week and even harder to keep up with commenting since caring for my 97 year old mom is taking up more and more of our time.

    ReplyDelete